Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cincinatti Challenge - next weekend

gtx6970

I should be there with my 12 year old daughter, it's her 1st ever contest . She wants to show off here Ramchargers 1965 Dodge

I'll be in a red shirt with A+M Hightech Automotive on it. I will not be there till maybe 10 / 10-30 or so

Bill my Dad and I will be there, were Mopar guy's from Northern Ky so I am sure he will want to meet you haha. I will have my Ducati, Honda Van, Toyota Drift car and Porsche......can't wait to see everyone's work and buy some goodies!

I went, met a couple members, even bought a few pieces.

Sorry but I completely forgot I even had my camera with me .

I thought it was a pretty good turnout, I would say well over 250 models on the tables. maybe more.

My daughter woke up this morning feeling ill . but she wanted to go , sadly we got about 5 miles up the road when she decided we needed to turn back and head home. So I decided to go anyway . I entered a few kits with no real thoughts of winning, .

I did enter my daughters 1965 Dodge. And it took best beginner. You should have seen her face when I handed her the trophy when I got home. I made her ( and mine ) day.

There was someone there taking pictures for Scale Auto though so maybe ck upcoming issues.

I had a great time at the show today, met some really nice guys, and scored a few kits. Kudos to the organizers!

But I do have one rant: the awards. There were so many entries and they were all spectacular builds. But only 1 award for each category doesn't seem fair. Awards seemed to go only a handful of guys yet there were easily 150+ models on display and all award worthy. What I was really counting on was a chance for my 3 year old daughters entry to win an award (which was a trainwreck but i love it.)

Hopefully Im not the only one bothered by this. Otherwise it was a great show and cant wait until next year.

I'm sure due to the awards there will be less attendence next year. I will skip this one next year. Alot of nice models got cheated.

Agreed,

WAAAAAAY to many nice models to only give away a top 10 awards .

I know a judge is supposed to be blind to all the aftermkt stuff, but no way can or will a box stock build compete against a scratchbuilt piece. And I saw some extremely nice out of the box kits on the table. Not to mention the customs section was off the hook . Then the section with all the custom painted cars was incredible.

The build that took best of show deserved it though

yea I also didn't like only the top ten cars getting awards. I would rather pay a few extra bucks to enter in the show to get the 1st 2nd & 3rd awards back for each class next year. Wish they would have mentioned in the flyers or there facebook page that it was top 10 style show I wouldnt of even entered my car curb side can't really compete with other classes. Don't get me wrong I still had a good time and had fun seeing all the cars and would hate to lose the show its just going to be a really hard show to build for now and not sure if I can build a top 10 car in 1 years time and if I can it will only be 1 car entered for the show. My last best of show winning model took 3 years on and off to build. guess I better get to work

A few suggestions, as I saw no rules, guidelines, etc.posted on their website.

1. I think this is important, and that is to create one new category for the all stars, for the heavy hitters, for the pro's, for the 1%. Call it the "Professional Category". This is where contestants enter their super detailed, super modified, super painted, cars/trucks. If you think you vehicle is THE BEST around, then enter this category. ANY vehicle or motorcycle can enter. Make the "Best of Show" award come ONLY from this category. By creating this category and element of competition, it will give the other 99% of us regular model builder a chance at competing in the other categories. And it will make the 1% have to make a choice of whether they want to enter the standard categories or go for the "professional" category.

2. A 1st Place award and AT LEAST a 2nd place Runner Up award for each category.

3. A contestant can win only 1 award per category...IE...John Doe can't place 1st and 2nd in the open wheel category. But he could place 1st in each category.

4. Make available online some type of rundown of each category. I had no idea what categories were represented today until I walked into the show. From there I scrambled to decide where to put each model.

5. Almost half of the entrants looked like they were in the custom category. I suggest expanding the Custom category, say, to 4dr, 2dr, Drags, Trucks/Vans, etc.

6. Closed wheel category needs expansion. There is Lemans, Drag, GT3, GT2, German Touring, Nascar, Rally, FIA, and numerous others.

These are merely my thoughts, not trying to ruffle any feathers. Regardless, I'll be there next year.

I had a great time this year and the quality of model's was just insane. That is quite funny you guy's mention the award's as that was my only gripe of the event. They did have it posted on there web page that there would only be top ten and four other award's and when I saw that I was bummed since last year they had 1st-3rd in all 20 something catagories. I think at least for the beginner and junior catagories there should be award's for all entries....they are kid's and I think it would be neat for all entrant's to place. I believe there were just way way too many amazing model's that did not get a plague or trophy and I really hope next year they go back to there older format. I wan't to say thank's to C.A.R for throwing a fun show, all the vendor's, the really nice man and lady cooking us food ,and my Pop's for enjoying this fun hobby with me....see ya guy's next year.

I did not look on there facebook page, i always just look at the flyer which said nothing about top 10. I entered 3 cars in one class which would not compete for top 10, they would have only competed within their own class. For me personally it was a waste of time and money as with some other guys also.I did hear alot of guys leaving that were very upset. I think they need to post it on all of the pages, flyers,ect. next year so people know up front. I know from now on i will make a call to ask so i know to go or stay home. Other than the awards it was a pretty good time.

I was there as well, and kinda bummed over the awards. I think a few kids got scammed over the 'new' judging. But anyway, it was nice to meet you Bill, and like you said, put a face to the name. My opinion on the way to award great models, just have a first place in EVERY category. It gives everyone at least a 'chance' to be recognized for whatever category they are in. Since they put the ' past winner rule ' in effect, it keeps a NEW winner in each category every year. Jut my opinion. I'll still go next year, and still enjoy meeting everyone, and just good model chit-chat. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah I did get a bit bummed because I too entered three model's in the tuner class and there were only four car's total so it would have been cool to try and get a 1st place.....on the same note I am 28 year's old and build model's 365 day's a year so this one day show is way more about me seeing everyone else's work. Everything else is more fun and of intrest to me besides the actual award(which I won my class last year) so I won't let that stop me from going again. Now saying that, this year's level of build's was up and over all I felt like there were a bunch more model's. Just seem's like a bad year to cut back on award's ,but hopefully they will correct that next year.

Here are the picture's I took, some are out of focus and I missed a bunch.

http://s1256.photobucket.com/user/1illdub/library/Cincinnati%20Challenge%2018

They all look nice to me. Seen a couple of mine. I didn't see any 'poor' builds, the competition is really getting to a higher lever that's for sure.Thanks for posting the link.

I had fun, this was my sixth trip to a Cincy Challenge and third time entering. I spent the afternoon with my friend Dave (Firemodelman) and get ideas and kits for next year. I was disappointed by the change in judging and the change in award styles. I'm already working on stuff for next year, but my willingness to attend in the future will depend on whether or not Dave attends, not the awards.