Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1966 Ford Mustang

Ok, so I don't usually build cars, I'm more into heavy trucks; but I've always liked the 1965 Ford Mustang. I purchased the AMT 1966 Ford Mustang a while back with the intention of building it someday. Well, someday might be coming sooner rather than later. So, not being a "car guy", I have some questions: what is the best way to detail out the engine? Is the Model Car Garage P/E set worth the investment? What details are missing from the kit that can be added?

My intent is to build is "factory stock". I'm not going to slam it, or rod it, or anything like that.

I've already check the "Car Kit Reviews" section for information on the kit itself.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Sounds like you're planning on building a nice little Mustang Jim. So, this is my suggestion and don't think I'm knocking MCG's parts because I have really liked everything I've bought from them. But, instead of investing the money in a photo etch set for your '66 Mustang, I would buy the AMT '67 Mustang fastback to use for parts. Mainly the core support/firewall,chassis and drivetrain. While the body on the '66 is nice, the chassis and underhood details leave a lot to be desired not to mention that the underhood details are wrong. You could still build the '67 with the leftover parts by gluing the hood shut and use the '66 chassis under it and have a curbside build. Of course, you could splurge and buy both the kit and the photo etch. ;)

Edited by plowboy