Model Cars Magazine Forum

Boulevard Creeper-51 Fleetline

Modlbldr

So, as some of you may know from my 56 Windsor build link, in conjunction I am building a 51 Fleetline similar in style to the "Voodoo Creeper". Here is a link to the 1:1 on Youtube. Don't worry, the video is only 40 seconds

Here is a photo from a magazine of the tilt front end in progress.IMG_20130205_134257-1.jpg

Here is where I am at as of tonight.

IMG_20130327_202832.jpg

IMG_20130327_202844.jpg

IMG_20130327_202934.jpg

I've gotten the top chopped, the front end extended and cut free and I have the grille roughed in. For the grille I used the custom grille parts from the AMT 57 Chevy and bullets and a center grille bar from a parts pack. I'm going to try to extend the rear fenders a bit and modify taillights from a 57 Chrysler 300, if I can locate a set somewhere.

That's all for tonight. Thanks for stopping in.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

You really got the front going good. The headlights look like some Plymouth units.

The tail lights look like the Packard ones that were used on a lot of customs. Replica & Minatures makes a couple different Packard tail lights.. This page shows the '56 Packard lights. Click the photo and you'll see the '54 tail lights.

I did a 53 Chevy with Packard taillignts and made them out of a clear red lighter case. a little cutting and wet sanding with 600 the polished out nicely...You could go that way to get the size and fell you are looking for. In any case this build screams Packard tail lights and they are a must have, how ever you do them..The front is awesome........................ :rolleyes:

Kenn :)

Foxer

Thanks for the post. Those 56 Packard lights are what I'm looking for. Thanks for all the great comments guys.

BTW How do I download a plugin to my phone to see YouTube videos? I can't even see the video I posted.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

• 2 weeks later...

Got a bit more of the little, yet important, stuff done this weekend. I managed to clean up the edges between the hood/fenders and the body. I had to glue some styrene strips in yo close up the gaps a bit. I removed the windshield and rear window trim and replaced with .040 half round and sanded off the door handles and beltline trim. I will replace the trim with more .040 half round.

IMG_20130407_102924.jpg

IMG_20130407_102753.jpg

I also filled in and reshaped the rear side windows and filed off the drip rail and filled in the top of the door frame.

Lastly, I removed the stone guards in preparation for some custom fender skirts.

IMG_20130407_102824.jpg

IMG_20130407_102617.jpg

That's it for this weekend. As I said, a lot of work on this one this weekend, but not much to show for it. I will hit this soon with a coat of primer to see where I'm at.

Comments welcomed.

Later-

Thanks CH. This build will be similar to the Voodoo Creeper but I have some changes of my own planned (not to mention that the VC is a sedan and this is a Fleetline) I'm thinking of calling this one the Boulevard Creeper. I still need to extend the rear fenders a bit on this but I need to wait until I order my 56 Packard taillights. I don't want to have to do work twice.

Later-

I did a quick bit of work tonight on this. I made some fender skirts similar to the ones on the VC and did a bit more molding and shaping on the bottom of the side trim.

IMG_20130414_222348.jpg

IMG_20130414_222251.jpg

Next, I added some styrene strip to the edges of my wheel backs to tighten them up in the tires. While at it I shortened the wheel mounting point a bit to narrow the rear axle width to fit in the rear fenders.

Before:IMG_20130414_215606.jpg

After:IMG_20130414_215631.jpg

Here are a couple of shots to compare the original width to the narrower width.

IMG_20130414_221638.jpg

IMG_20130414_221822.jpg

I've got enough room now for the tires to fit behind the skirts now. Next is to lower the rear suspension. I've got to go low enough for almost, if not all, of the rear tire to be hidden. I'm probably going with Modelhaus 57 Caddy caps in the front. Anyone know where I can get some small chrome bullets for the center of the caps? PM me if you do.

That's it for tonight. 5AM comes awful early.

Later-

I did some work on lowering the rear end. I cut out the floor and C notched the frame.

IMG_20130418_131507-1.jpg

IMG_20130418_131523.jpg

Before this the ride height was such that the fender skirt JUST covered the bottom of the wheel.

This is closer to the ride height I'm looking for.

IMG_20130418_134725.jpg

IMG_20130418_133422-1.jpg

I will be making an airbag system for this once I get the floor repaired.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

Thanks for the great comments guys. I got a bit of work done today during my lunch break. I started the work on the rear airbags. I was moving along so nicely that I didn't want to stop when lunch was over. Pictures some time this weekend.

Later-

Well, still no pics. Perhaps tomorrow. Tonight I got the rear floor boxed in for the suspension and airbags. It sits low enough now in the rear to look right. I also began molding in the firewall. Not a lot of visual progress for the amount of time it takes, but it should start coming along a little quicker now. Next will be to finish the firewall, build a hinge system for the front clip and lower the front suspension.

I am trying to decide what to do for an engine. The 1:1 uses a 350 but I had envisioned a hopped up 6. However, with the tilt front end I'm not sure the 6 would fill up enough space to look right. What are your thoughts?

Later-