Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tinting plastic!?

Kyle you can dye clear plastic windows.

Rit dye liquid or powder will do the job.

Just don't get the mixture too hot and use repeated dips instead of one long dip to assure you don't warp large pieces of plastic windows.

I tint HotWheels windows all the time if I want them a different color than clear.

CadillacPat

I've used RIT to tint windows before. It does work, with a little patience. Take Pat's warning about heat to heart, and give it a try on a scrap window.

I hadn't thought of trying that, Joseph. I'll keep it in mind for the amber windows I want to do for my '57 Ford.

Edited by Gluhead

how exactly do you do this step by step

Pour some Future into a small dish and drip some food coloring into the dish to make your color. Stir it up a little with a paint brush to make an evenly-colored solution, but don't whip any air bubble into it. You can either dip the clear part into the tinted Future or apply it with an airbrush; I've had an easier time with dipping. Refer to this page for in-depth details: http://www.swannysmodels.com/Tinting.html

• 2 weeks later...
Kyle you can dye clear plastic windows. Rit dye liquid or powder will do the job. Just don't get the mixture too hot and use repeated dips instead of one long dip to assure you don't warp large pieces of plastic windows. I tint HotWheels windows all the time if I want them a different color than clear. CadillacPat
how do i do this exactly

Pour some Future into a small dish and drip some food coloring into the dish to make your color. Stir it up a little with a paint brush to make an evenly-colored solution, but don't whip any air bubble into it. You can either dip the clear part into the tinted Future or apply it with an airbrush; I've had an easier time with dipping. Refer to this page for in-depth details: http://www.swannysmodels.com/Tinting.html
I cant find future in my area what can i sub it with

It's in the grocery store aisle with all the other cleaners and waxes. Or a home center like Home Depot. Or Walmart. It's basically found everywhere.

If you really can't find it (hard to imagine), go to the hobby shop and get a bottle of acrylic clear. That's all that Future is... clear acrylic.

If the windows need to be extremely dark, and you can't get a really good view of the inner side through the windshield or open windows, just mask the front sides and spray flat black from the inside. It works great for me. No light shines through but, I don't mind.

Also, there is a product out designed to spray on 1:1 light lenses to "smoke" them as well. It's by a company called TYC and the product is called Nightshades (SP?). With each layer you add, you get a deeper tint affect. And it still maintains transparancy.

Edited by Skydime

Hasegawa do a mirror film that is intended to be used like BMF (get it from HLJ) but which is actually mirrored sticky backed mylar and transmits light like 1:1 mirror tint film.

As Mark has found the problem is keeping the air bubbles and dust out.

Hasegawa do a mirror film that is intended to be used like BMF (get it from HLJ) but which is actually mirrored sticky backed mylar and transmits light like 1:1 mirror tint film.

As Mark has found the problem is keeping the air bubbles and dust out.

A wet application, just like when doing 1:1 vehicle windows, is the best way to help prevent the film from trapping air bubbles.

Ok i have looked at everystore where i live and cannot find and future and the hooby shop only carries little bottles of acrlic how much is need to mix it with food coloring

Go to Wal-Mart and look in the household cleaners aisle. It's usually on the bottom shelf-- "Pledge with Future Shine". One bottle will last you a long, long time. Future is not the same as clear acrylic paint or varnish, so it's worth the effort to get the real stuff.