Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bad news from Danbury Mint

Harry P.

I had heard of issues some time ago, but I just received a flyer for a '65 Mustang fastback about two weeks ago. Is this an old casting re-released, or did DM find a new vendor?

I got the same flyer! Also wondering the same thing... are they back in business? I think the flyer says "all new?"

I got the same flyer! Also wondering the same thing... are they back in business? I think the flyer says "all new?"

I also believe it is new, so I'm thinking that the death knell news of Danbury Mint's car series demise might be premature. The sad part, is that some of the newer dies were awesome. I was fortunate to have gotten the '36 Packard and the '56 Buick Roadmaster.

I also believe it is new, so I'm thinking that the death knell news of Danbury Mint's car series demise might be premature. The sad part, is that some of the newer dies were awesome. I was fortunate to have gotten the '36 Packard and the '56 Buick Roadmaster.

I also have both of the DM '56 Buicks, and the '36 Packard. The Packard is one of the most overlooked, and underappreciated DM models, IMHO of course.

3BD6526D-orig.jpg

B5761A71-orig.jpg

8DD01EBC-orig_zps27f1a8a2.jpg

My vice was the Danbury light commercial trucks! I owned a Ron Cash Divco resin, but once I saw the Danbury Divco Bordens truck, there was no sense even trying to build it! The Danbury piece was just spectacular.

I followed that up with the TT Coke truck, the US Mail Jeep and a few others.

Here's what the website says. It's the end of the new diecast cars, though this language seems to leave the door open for reissues. Anyway, DM isn't out of business -- they still offer tons of other types of collectibles.

The Danbury Mint's final 1:24 scale replica!

Through the years, the Danbury Mint has offered discriminating die-cast car collectors the chance to own what many deem to be the finest 1:24 scale automobile replicas in the world. Sadly, it's the end of an era and today we are officially announcing that the Limited Edition 1935 Ford Deluxe Coupe is our final brand-new 1:24 scale precision replica.

Our final new 1:24 scale die-cast offering is priced at $249 plus $9 shipping and service, payable in four monthly installments of $64.50. Production is limited to just 2,500 models and they're sure to sell quickly. Orders will be fulfilled on a strict first-come, first-served basis.

Edited by sjordan2

I saw that same statement on the '35 Ford, yet they claim the Mustang is all new. I guess because of the websites I visit, and cookies, etc., I keep seeing Danbury Mint ads on sites (including here,) that picture the '35 Ford and the new '65 Mustang. I see that the Mustang has already sold out, so DM might consider them again. We shall see.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Our final new 1:24 scale die-cast offering is priced at $249 plus $9 shipping and service, payable in four monthly installments of $64.50. Production is limited to just 2,500 models and they're sure to sell quickly. Orders will be fulfilled on a strict first-come, first-served basis.

...and they picked the worst possible color to replicate it in. In my opinion a t least.

• 1 month later...