Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Cars of Rock 'n' Roll and Country Music

CorvairJim

after looking through my stash i found the perfect candidate for this here build

(mine will be a rusty chevrolet)

its a 1978 monte carlo

(from the class action)

it has the engine done and had the chassis done, which will now need to be redone to make it lok all rusty,junky and well, chevrolet looking

(oh, and ima need to remove the left from tire/wheel)

Well i am really digging this black sunshine is one of the best songs. But i have one of The Boss's songs Racing in the streets.

I got a sixty-nine Chevy with a 396

Fuelie heads and a Hurst on the floor

She's waiting tonight down in the parking lot

Outside the Seven-Eleven store

Me and my partner Sonny built her straight out of scratch

And he rides with me from town to town

We only run for the money got no strings attached

We shut `em up and then we shut `em down

Tonight tonight the strip's just right

I wanna blow `em off in my first heat

Summer's here and the time is right

We're goin' racin' in the street

We take all the action we can meet

And we cover all the northeast state

When the strip shuts down we run `em in the street

From the fire roads to the interstate

More lyrics: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/b/bruce+springsteen/#share

Now i have to figure out what car to do now . Maybe i can ask

the wife to let me get a copo Nova :lol:

If not i can always do the 69 Chevelle or drag one of the Many camaros on the shelf . But this is now a conundrum for me as to what era street racer do i build the car to. '70's '80's or today? any thing in the spirit of the contest ?????

Michael

Edited by hvymtl

It's like on one hand....I wanna get in on this SOOO bad just cuz models and music are my things. But, on the other hand, I've got so many projects going right now.......DANG IT!! :D

I know exactly what you mean. I just got lucky that my next project car just happened to fit in with an Eagles tune or I'd be watching from the sidelines too.

I had a thought today of somebody doing something wild with the AMTronic kit to the tune of The Who's "Magic Bus." Not me though. But it would be fun one to watch come together.

That would be real cool! I never thought of the "Magic Bus" like that. I always thought of it as a typical red London double-decker bus but, to a rocker from the psycodelic era in a drug-induced haze, the AMTronic could well be the sort of thing The Who had in mind. I've seen the AMTronic kit many times but I've 1) never seen one built and, 2) never had the ambition to build it myself.

And a side note to hvymtl:

Michael: Whatever you do, if you should come across an old '69 Impala and decide that's what you want to base your build on... DON'T!!! Let me know you have it and I'll go out and buy that C.O.P.O. Nova kit and swap you for the Impala! I ruined one of them back in the 70's and I've been looking for one I could aford ever since. A restorable "Glue Bomb" is acceptable... :D

Here is the start of my project. I have chopped the top, it was quite easy to do, but if you are thinking about chopping '49 Mercury, I'd like to say that do it carefully, little mistake and the to is ugly. But anyway, here are pictures about mine.

Original body

Alkuperinenkorisivulta_-vi.jpg

Orkkiskuntoinenkoritakaa_-vi.jpg

Mercurynsilputtukatto_-vi.jpg

Here is one piece of the top gluing to place...

Osakatostaliimautumassa_-vi.jpg

And now, the top is glued to its place, and ready for some bondo...

Liimattukatto-vi.jpg

Seuraavanakitti_-vi.jpg

And now, I have put bondo and sanded, bondo, sanding, and now it looks like this, needs still more sanding...

PC020305.jpg

PC020306.jpg

Actually this project is started last summer, but after the chop top, it has been inside the box, now I just took it to my workbench again, and body is in quite good shape. It needs new B- pillars and some other things too.

Nico - That Merc looks great so far! You say the top-chop is easy, so I'll be the first to admit your skills are light-years beyond mine. I've ruined more than my share of bodies with unsuccesful top chops and top transplants! I saw an episode of "Monster Garage" several years ago where Jese James got together a "Dream Team" of big name Old-School customizers, all of whom were at least in their 70's by that time, and they did a complete chop/channel/section/shave job on an early 50's Chevy 2-door sedan in just one week! I picked up a lot of pointers as to how it's supposed to be done from that show but I haven't tried to do it again since then. I'd like to atempt to chop the top on a late-model Corvair coupe to replicate a car that ran the California Mille a few years ago. That won't be easy with those skinny pillars...

And a side note to hvymtl:

Michael: Whatever you do, if you should come across an old '69 Impala and decide that's what you want to base your build on... DON'T!!! Let me know you have it and I'll go out and buy that C.O.P.O. Nova kit and swap you for the Impala! I ruined one of them back in the 70's and I've been looking for one I could aford ever since. A restorable "Glue Bomb" is acceptable... :lol:

LOL i couldn't get that lucky to find a 69 Impy. though i will have pics of the chevelle it fell together way to easily the other night it scares me. as for the copo i will wait checking the stash i got 2 unopened 2-1 nova ss kits so i might go old school on one of them also . Danger , great choice of Rush. excellent song. one i turn up when i hear it on the radio.

Michael

Okay. The kit I have was painted in testors lacquer by its previous owner. A $2.99 bottle of 91% alcohol later and that paint is toast. The build begins this weekend. This is going to be a stake-side flatbed dually shop truck. The engine will be the Ardun flattie from the 50 Ford F-1. Paint will be a mildly distressed suede blue. I'm kicking around the idea of chopping the top a bit. I'm not a big fan of chop tops, but we'll see.

This is what iam starting with, as you can see its not all there, but thats ok, I know the pictures are not clear my camera dosent have macro on it, but iam getting married on april 16, 2011 and iam getting a new camera for a wedding present.

vans.jpg

ACK! Seeing you guys getting started is driving me crazy, I can't find my Mustang yet, might not get started on it for another month or so...

Hey Jim, I can get started on the Jag and the Stingray if you are willing to add them to my build entries. B)

This is what iam starting with, as you can see its not all there, but thats ok, I know the pictures are not clear my camera dosent have macro on it, but iam getting married on april 16, 2011 and iam getting a new camera for a wedding present.

vans.jpg

Cograts on getting married on the 16th

ACK! Seeing you guys getting started is driving me crazy, I can't find my Mustang yet, might not get started on it for another month or so...

Hey Jim, I can get started on the Jag and the Stingray if you are willing to add them to my build entries. :)

The way I set out the rules, you had to give others at least 2 weeks to jump on a song before you entered a second build. I haven't checked, but I'm pretty sure just offhand that it's been at lewast 2 weeks. Consider yourself down for the XK-E (actually, Jaguar called the car an "E-Type" - I'm a stickler for that sort of thing!) and the Stingray (with SIX taillights!) from Jan & Dean's "Dead Man's Curve".

vans.jpg

Congratulations, Darrin! All the best to you and your bride. (My invitation must have gotten lost in the mail... :) )

Edited by CorvairJim

some one oughta do the "cottonmouth"s caddilac

if i remember correctly it s a 49-50-51-51-52-53-54-55-56-57-58-59 automobile

ill take that one on if i may and would love to do hot rod Lincoln and the Johny cash one peace at a time and it did not cost me a dime . we got a whole year for this i can pull it off