Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run CBP 2012

slantasaurus

I been wondering can i use Firestone super sport F70 tires. I mean where they around in 62? Or did they come later? But yeah considering the road back then and the tires thats might bee a good idea.

I'll say OK on the tires but like I said, you might want to turn the lettering toward the inside so they look closer to vintage, white letter tires were still a few years off.

It's great to see the old friends jumping over here to be part of this run. It simply couldn't have continued "over there." Like last year, I'll need a month or two to assess a few things but I hope to jump in a bit later. Thanks again Slant for taking up the baton .

They did it in Two Lane Blacktop :lol:

Debatable. The '55 had stock appearing front suspension and ride height and was wearing street radials in most scenes. I would not consider that a "gasser".

I'm really kicking this around some. I do have a build planned that fits this theme. So at this time pencil me in with a AMT 1949 Ford which will be done largely box stock with the addition of a 312 y-block w/tri-power from the AMT 34 pick-up.

Debatable. The '55 had stock appearing front suspension and ride height and was wearing street radials in most scenes. I would not consider that a "gasser".

That and it was 'just a movie'. You could go cross country in a quasi-gasser in a movie, but a possessed '58 Fury might be chasing you all the way. :lol:

I might be able to jump into this one. What kind of vehicle? Don't know. But it would have to be something with decent power, good handling, and above all reliable for all the action it's about to see. Possibly something that was successful in the NASCAR circuit of the era, or maybe a specially prepped sports car.

Seems like these cars would need a few traits to do a 1962 cannonball trip. They would need some straightline speed, but not like a dragster. They would need to be able to run at 110 or so for an extended run without blowing up or overheating. They would need some handling abilities. (We ain't running no roadrace here, but they need to operate on the streets and take an occasional evasive maneuver.) Reliability, durability and the ability to take a dirt or gravel road in a pinch would help. Good lighting would help. Spare tires, a jack, tool kit and the like would be necessary. Long range is a must, either through efficiency or large fuel capacity. Since we are talking 1962, radar, gps, cell phones and Garmins are all a ways off. If a car carries a police radio, it is going to take up a bit of space, weigh 40 lbs or so, have a huge antenna and suck a lot of battery power. On the other hand, the police don't have all of the fancy equipment either. You won't be dodging radar, choppers, etc.

The other thing that would really help for a cannonball run is stealth. If the car looks like a racecar, or is readily identifiable, it will probably get chased down and stopped. If it looks like any other car on the road, it could probably get itself lost in a crowd pretty quickly, even if it was hot off of a chase. (" Sorry, Captain, I didn't know which of the three light green Biscaynes in that traffic jam had just blown by me on the highway five miles back. Sorry about roughing up that priest").

Now that I am thinking about this (I had written plans for a more modern Cannonball entry over the Holidays, involving a modern vehicle with large fuel tanks, oil, tranny and rear end coolers and wrapped it into a package that could blend into traffic.) in 1962, we were still in the early days of stock car racing, There were still a lot of bootleggers with fairly recent experience. The technology of the day was pretty much old fashioned mechanics and mechanical engineering. The electrical systems were pretty simple, and probably best left close to stock. (Beefed up coil, and bigger battery?) Seems like a bootlegging vehicle would be a good starting point for this project. Replace the "'shine" tank with some fuel capacity and you have already beefed up the frame and suspension for the added weight of the tanks. I would guess that the challenge of a coast to coast race would be mighty appealing to a bored bootlegger in 1962. Somewhere between the beverage delivery business and the early NASCAR and USAC cars (Still built from production type cars) we would find most of the design and engineering work already done for us. Now, it's just a matter of deciding which bits to keep, and how to adapt it to 1/25 scale models.

I might try to get in on this build (With a whole year, what can possibly go wrong.) ;) Maybe a 1956 through 1961 car, so as not to draw too much attention to a new car. Top of the line motor in a slightly more mainstream body style. Beefed up suspension, stiffened chassis, all unnecessary equipment removed, spare tires, toolkit, extra fuel filler so that you can use two pumps when refilling the tanks. (That was the stroke of genius on my modern project!) space for the co driver to sleep, and a good cooling system, combined with a few extra gas tanks. This would be a good start towards making it to the other coast in one piece.

Good luck with this build, and I will have fun watching it whether I participate or not.

Dave

Lets not forget all those mothballed moonshine runners that would still have been around in '62.

I had not considered that. Does crack the possibilities wide open, though. :D

Seems like these cars would need a few traits to do a 1962 cannonball trip. They would need some straightline speed, but not like a dragster. They would need to be able to run at 110 or so for an extended run without blowing up or overheating. They would need some handling abilities. (We ain't running no roadrace here, but they need to operate on the streets and take an occasional evasive maneuver.) Reliability, durability and the ability to take a dirt or gravel road in a pinch would help. Good lighting would help. Spare tires, a jack, tool kit and the like would be necessary. Long range is a must, either through efficiency or large fuel capacity.The other thing that would really help for a cannonball run is stealth. If the car looks like a racecar, or is readily identifiable, it will probably get chased down and stopped. If it looks like any other car on the road, it could probably get itself lost in a crowd pretty quickly, even if it was hot off of a chase. (" Sorry, Captain, I didn't know which of the three light green Biscaynes in that traffic jam had just blown by me on the highway five miles back. Sorry about roughing up that priest").

Those were all factors I considered, and what originally led me to a 'late model' (for '62 car). Many early '60's cars would have included most (if not all) of those aspects right from the factory, all they'd need is a bit of help from the racing and 'shine guys to make them ideal for an event like the Cannonball.

Jantrix beat me to the punch on the moonshiners! (While I was typing out a novella on it, he posted it!)

I am looking at potential kits for this build.

I don't have Revell's Black Widow 56 Chevy, but it would probably make a great starting point. It already has heavy duty wheels and tires. It would have a no frills body with the top of the line mechanicals under it. The engine could be left as a Small block Chevy, or a "W" head motor could be dropped in. (The 409 would have plenty of power, but would probably require an extra fuel stop. It might also be possible to stuff much of the running gear under the Revell 58 Impala kit for a slightly updated body style.

Any Chevy Impala, Bel Air, Del Ray, 150, or other chevy kits from the era would work well too. I have been staring at AMT's 62 Bel Air, thinking that that would be the perfect car for the trip, and the 409 would be up to the task. Revell's 59 or 60 would be great, and could have some of the equipment from the Black Widow added to them. The real cars held their own in stock car racing. Lindberg's '61 would require a bit more cutting, as the original design of the kit left a bit to be desired. It would almost require a scratchbuild of the frame to show any major modifications to the running gear. (Or a swap from the AMT 62 kit)

AMT's 1962 Pontiac 421 SD would be a good starting point too, although it is set up for drag racing. It had the heavy duty wheels that were used in NASCAR, but with slicks on the back. There are some aftermarket sources for era correct NASCAR wheels and tires that would work for the 58-62 years. Not sure if the NASCAR tires would be the ticket for driving across the country, as even then, they were being made for grip rather than longevity. (Although they certainly would have held up to the straightline runs of 100 + m.p.h. better than most tires) The Pontiac also violates my suggestion on 61 and earlier to avoid the attention of a brand new car, but it is not a really fancy car, and if the cannonball is taking place late in 62, and the 62 model year starts in the Fall of 61, maybe it's not that new anymore...

The 57 Chrysler would be a stylin' way to go across the country, and the Hemi would be up to the task, but it's a big car. It might need a bit more fuel than most, resulting in longer fuel stops to fill up those huge tanks. The 58 Belvedere could also make the run, and could be upgraded with some of the Chrysler parts. Not quite as noticeable as the 300, and smaller and more nimble.

Ford fans, the 60 Starliner would be perfect for this, as would the 61 galaxie. Big cars, fairly common, lots of success in racing already... Lots of parts available. (Although if you have to stop for much of a major fix on the road, you won't win the cannonball) Just slide a shiny showroom body down on top of a Holman Moody prepped car, and you have the perfect runner. The 61 would require a bit more work, as you would have to open the hood, scratchbuild an engine bay, and build up a chassis for it. (or heavily modify the underpinnings from a different kit) The Thunderbirds are also an option for this, although the 55-57 might be a bit too cramped by the time you put the extra tanks and all of the spare tires in them. The 58 T-bird would make a great cannonballer, as it was raced extensively, and it had more room than some of today's mid size cars. The 1962 would be really new and stand out, but it sure would be a nice car to rip across the country in!

Vettes would have the same problem as the two seat Thunderbirds. They would, however be very quick, nimble, capable cars. They would also be lighter and make it on a bit less fuel than a big car, with a bit more speed and less tire wear. (Being 6'7" however, I wouldn't want to make a 20 hour drive in a two seater!) The new Revell '62 coming out might be a fun starting point, but I am not even sure when it is being released. This gets us into modified sports car territory, but might be the smarter way to run the race. A couple more fuel stops, but a much more capable car without all of the extra weight. (In today's world, I would tackle a run like this with a sports car, but in 1962, it might have been hard to get gas at 3:00 a.m. in the middle of nowhere in the Midwest. I even remember in the '70s we had to make sure were had a full tank on trips before night time because the gas stations all closed.) I really don't know when truck stops became 24 hour and sprang up on every major stretch of road.

Other options, although slightly less stealthy, could be the '59 Cadillac, Johan Chryslers, 62 Buick, Trumpeter's Bonneville, earlier cars like the '51 Fleetline (Would look really cool in burgundy) and the 53 Stude. Foreign cars could get into the act here too. I wish I had a kit of the Mercedes 190SL from RoG, as that would be a sweet way to go. I am sure that there are Jaguars, Porsches, Ferraris, Triumphs, Austins, and many other cars that would take the trip in stride. How about a Lotus Seven. (Have to check the year out on that one) For the truly oddball, the 1961 Ranchero could be a fun build.

Too many choices and not enough time to build them all! (Leaning towards the Starliner or the Pontiac right now though...)

Dave

(Now when did that Fiat 500 come out???)

Ah, another build I just can't pass up. I'll go shopping and get what I need for this. It sounds like a lot of fun.

I didn't need to shop. I found a 1962 Porsche Carrera cabriolet which I think would do well in this type of race. I have another idea brewing as well.

Going 59 Caddy, What about an Ambulance??

You would need to modify the P-L Ecto1 or returning AMT 1A to Stock,

then modify that. It Would have the Stretcher for sleeping shifts!!

Think of the patient area for tools, tires, tanks too.

And with the Reds, & Sirens......... :lol:

Going 59 Caddy, What about an Ambulance??

You would need to modify the P-L Ecto1 or returning AMT 1A to Stock,

then modify that. It Would have the Stretcher for sleeping shifts!!

Think of the patient area for tools, tires, tanks too.

And with the Reds, & Sirens......... :lol:

Can Dom DeLuise (aka, Capt. Chaos) fit in the back of a car based ambulance for that long a trip?

I think I've found my Cannonball car.....I had to resort to Plan B already. As I was thinking about this build I kind of had my 62 Chrysler 300 in mind for this build. I pulled the kit out a few days ago and realized that the person I got the kit from had started sanding the "Chrysler" trim off the front fenders and I wanted a stock look for the car. I can't really complain, I did get the kit for free......but now I'll need another when I'm ready to build it cause that one is gonna be a mild custom.

I need to get the desk cleared off and dig out a donar kit but I'll post up some pics soon...

Okay Ron, 24-hrs after I said I'd need a month or two, I've made my selection and I'm in this year with a Revell '60 Corvette. I need an early start because my crush to finish the VW last time used up a lot of girlfriend time and now she's not too supportive of my childish fancies anymore.

I acquired the Vette years ago with no chrome or wheels so I guess I'll just have to invent some ginchy, galvanized, finnified, customized front and rear treatment. I reserve the right to smash it, stomp, speak in tongues and change my entry.

DSC03265.jpg

For you young-stahs, this is an '88 release of an old Revell standard and the body is in parts. The rear top and bottom parts have been glued and a side panel is on. There are some odd molding choices on this but it's apparent it's partly due to the molding limitations of the day. For that reason I'm enjoying the retro build.

DSC03268.jpg

After perusal of my kit, it's official. I'm in with a box stock entry (with the exeption of decals). I'm doing the AMT 49 Ford Coupe. The kit has vintage everything and features a Cadillac 390ci which in 1959 was rated at 345 h.p., which aughta do the job in the "get up and go" department. I'll be using the kit supplied custom parts and will be One Shot lacquer White Lightning with the flame decals from the Revell '49 Merc. Wide whites on painted steelies with beauty rings will take care of the rolling stock. Honestly this kit seems perfect for this CBP.

2012-01-02214457.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

Can Dom DeLuise (aka, Capt. Chaos) fit in the back of a car based ambulance for that long a trip?

Jack Elam played Doctor Nicolas van Helsing in "The Cannonball Run", so if you want a doctor in your Caddy Ambulance, you'd have to "dig him up" (politically incorrect pun intended) for the role so he could "Probe your case"! :lol:

Anyhow, my initial idea for this CBP crashed and burned when I found out that it takes place way back in the year I was born... I have a couple of ideas that I might go with... I'll have to think about what I'll be in with, but I'll be in on this one for sure!

Edited by CorvairJim

Nice builds you guys got there.

Now its official since i w been surfing the net and going through spec of the AC Ace.

I m in whit a near standard engined car and no fancy suspension, just gonna go Ace on that too.

Every thing that don t need to be painted thou won t be. I gonna save weight every where it is possible and safe to do so.

Even if it is on the cost of comfort, We r raceing here we r not on some pick nick. :D

Edited by patami