Model Cars Magazine Forum

Time Machine International Scout SSII Transkit

Basically a repop of the original Ertl variant of its stock SSII kit, cleanly molded in white resin.

1022-vi.jpg

It of course features the door cutouts of the 1:1, with a unique body tub to match...

1023-vi.jpg

The SSII-specific grille with its vertical spats (an oh-so-subtle flick under the chin at Jeep, perhaps?)

1024-vi.jpg

The SSII-spec bucket seats and interior tub/chassis casting round things out. I used parts box mirrors and a rollbar from a Revell Jeep J-10 to finish mine off. An AMT/Ertl Scout II reissue supplies everything else.

IMG_71061-vi.jpg

I added the missing hood peak and subtly reshaped the hood and top edge of the grille, as the Ertl parts aren' correctly shaped. I also added a few missing body panel cut lines on the front splash apron, cowl, and taillamp panels. Those ommissions on the body aren't Time Machine's fault- they were absent on the Ertl kits as well.

Very nice little transkit, and adapts to the kit parts with zero fuss. Now I just wish somebody would reproduce the parts for Ertl's third Scout II variant, the 'Off Road' version!

The only difference in the off-road kit is a sprue with headers and side dump exhaust, racing bucket seats, roll bar, push bar, and a couple other parts. Otherwise exactly the same as the re-issue.

Good looking build!

FWIW. SSIIs came with low gloss black bumpers only. Chrome was not an option. Doesn't mean you can't put them on though.... ;)

The only difference in the off-road kit is a sprue with headers and side dump exhaust, racing bucket seats, roll bar, push bar, and a couple other parts. Otherwise exactly the same as the re-issue.

Good looking build!

FWIW. SSIIs came with low gloss black bumpers only. Chrome was not an option. Doesn't mean you can't put them on though.... ;)

Is'nt the grill otherwise as well? I've wondered about just making the dooropenings in resin, and the grill, to be honest. Would make the rest to the builder, but it should not be hard to do. There was three different grills, done by ERTL, and just one have been reissued. Also something I've been thinking of casting.

My old built Spor. In a sad state today.

Scout1-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The original box arts, with three different grills.

IMG_4647-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Nytt001-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Nytt006-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by Bugace

Yes, the grill should be black, as it was an ABS plastic overlay, as well as the door inserts.

The Scout kits from a 100% accurate standpoint are a hodge-podge of years. The interior detail is correct for the first issue, but incorrect for the "off road", and the kit that had yellow box art. and that is just the beginning of the list!

Great builds guys !!!!!!!!! The only problem I see with them all is the International Scouts here in Virginia rusted out sumthin fierce !!!!!!!! Hey, I knew of several and trust me , they were some rusty rusty rusty birds ............. Ed Shaver

I was able to pick up an original 'glue bomb' of sorts at our show the beginning of last month for $30. I have big plans for this kit and am trying to get it finished for a trip to KC for the Slammers show coming up at the beginning of June this year. I've had to source out a vendor to make me a set of decals for it, as the originals got messed up after I cleared it. Other than that, it's been a blast to build.

Chuck, where did you find the trans kit? I wouldn't m ind doing another one sometime if I could get my hands on some resin.

Uh... Time Machine Resin. Ordered it off their website.

Has anyone got any responce from Jeff recently?

I orderer (and payed) some stuff from him in April 2011. Still no goods or refund... After few emails that I sent, I finally got one email (in August 2011) from him about him being injured and behind on orders and shipping my goods next weekend... Surprise - No goods, no refund.... After that he has not replied to any of my mails. Is he still in business?

Edited by SQFin