Model Cars Magazine Forum

What magazines do you use for reference ?

Barbo

Hi......Perhaps , the magazines I use for reference to learn more about dioramas are not the same magazines you use. So, the reason of this question is to share information ,,,,What magazines do you use for reference? I use ...Garden Railways , 'O' Gauge Model Rail-Roading , Miniature Collector , Fine Scale , Scale Aviation , Sci-Fi & Fantasy Models International , Scale Auto , Model Cars , Military Miniatures , Scale Models International and Historical Miniatures. I do not subsribe to all . I buy some from the magazine stand , if the issue is interesting at the moment..........Barbo.

Miguel, I have never done a diorama before, but if I was.... I suppose my source would be real life. Those other magazines are great for ideas but if you want to do a realistic dio then find a subject or pick details from around your life to model. And take lots of pictures...

My two cents.

Hi...Jaurus...thats a great way of doing a diorama..specialy if it has to do with something to remember, or just for the fun . Onc its finished , its very valuable to the modeler, it will be one of a kind. I made a Diorama with a photo of the Worlds Trade Center as a backdrop , my last visit, ......... there is no price for it...............Barbo.

• 8 years later...

I personally have just recently got into dioramas,I have only done 3.I can say I used imagination and real life as my references. I hope my experience helps you.I wish you well in the diorama world.You will get a great sense of accomplishment out of it.Adds a whole new level

• 3 weeks later...

I tend to build dioramas based on historic photos rather than magazine articles.Therefore I do a lot of on line research looking at similar photos posted for accuracy in background clutter and the general look of what actually appears in similar scenes.

After that details like the weathering effects of rain and everyday use come into play such as worn paint and shading can add a lot to the authenticity of my scenes.

The dioramas I do for the Texas and Virginia Historical societies I have done have all involved period photographs . The diorama I am doing for a personal project that will premier at the Lewis Ginter Botanical gardens, Richmond Virginia  this Thanksgiving will have involved HOURS of researching Blue prints and photos taken in the day 

• 2 weeks later...