Model Cars Magazine Forum

Glue Bomb....Revell 1:18 mongoose in pieces!

nate47

You guys have been inspiring me to get back in the game so I dug out the box of pieces I purchased at a garage sale for a buck last year. It was an old Revell Mongoose kit It was never completely assembled and alot of it is broken and the box is gone but it did have the instructions. I'm going to try to bring the remaining pieces back to life. I think this was a really cool kit, and I wish the body was still there! These pics were all taken last Sunday, I'll update here in a few minutes with the work done this week!

post-10697-0-49231700-1351378500_thumb.jpost-10697-0-74055000-1351378544_thumb.jpost-10697-0-17464800-1351378597_thumb.j

Well with a few hours of work I was able to get the engine disassembled with minimal breakage, but I was very dissapointed to find that the hoses and wires in the kit are very dry rotted and hard. I'm going to try and soak them in armorall, and try to use some heat to make them flexible. I was able to get most all of the engine re-assembled. I painted the headers in flat black, but wasn't too pleased in the out come so I used plastidip spray on them and really liked the look! So here is what I have accomplished so far. This project will likely get shelved for while as I have a couple other projects I'm working on, and planning! I still wish I had the a because I really believe I could save this kit! I don't have the belt on the pulleys on yet because the blower assembly is still drying!

This is my first real work in over 10 years, and Its fun to get back into the swing of it! My 2 year old son sits at the table with me the whole time and he loves it!

Thanks for looking and feedback is always wanted, and welcome!

post-10697-0-77802600-1351379088_thumb.jpost-10697-0-37439600-1351379146_thumb.jpost-10697-0-59377800-1351379184_thumb.j

To be honest, the vinyl tubing Revell included was never great, and they tended to harden after a few years, as you noted. The yellow spark plug wiring was decent, but the grey tubing used to represent fuel lines was bert replaced anyhow.

The good news is almost all of the F/C parts are shared between the various kits, but the McEwen car had some unique pieces, such as the quarter window louvers. I think Competition Resins still makes them, though.