Model Cars Magazine Forum

Autocar A64b With 5 Axle Advantage Dump Trailer.

• 2 months later...

Having seen some great models on the forum and progress being made all around I thought it about time that I got some thing done. I have been working on the trailer and am almost finished. Just one or two things to complete it. The tarp is finished and was quite easy to make. It does work but its a pain to keep rolling it up. When the Autocar is finished I will take both outside to take some photo's of the complete rig. This is the first model I have ever tried making my own decals. I used word in microsoft office 2007 to design them. My printer is a Kodac ESP 7 all in one contraption. Works well normally but does not like the decal paper to much. Printing on Photo paper the quality of the print is superb. But on the decals it seems a bit faded. Its probably my lack of knowledge of hocus pocus electrical gadgets thats the problem not the printer. The company name on the trailer is Pioneer. A totally ficticious company. Anyway here is the link to my albumn. Hope you enjoy.

http://public.fotki.com/oldalbion/autocar-a64b-with-5/2.html

Many Thanks and best regards

Dave

Edited by Old Albion

Chuck,

I used the mesh screens from KFS see the link below. Tab down until you come to PE91.

http://www.kitformservices.com/photoetch.html

Ben,

Thanks for the comments.

Offering it as a kit is beyond my abilities, well certainly at present. It would suit people who have the CNC mill like Crispy67 or aftermarket manufacturers like AITM, Matt Burnett, etc. I have been checking the price of aftermarket parts recently and have found they are becoming very expensive. Just gauging the price of my trailer with the price of aftermarket parts and kits on the market at present and I would guess around $150 to $200. Just think about the price of the re-release AMT stuff for example. The modeller could get probably 4 AMT kits for the price of a trailer. When you look at what it costs to bring a resin kit to market you can see the costs are probably well justified. For many modellers thats a lot of money and is way outside of their budget so maybe an alternative would be a set of plans. The modeller could then use simple raw materials of their choise for the bulk of the build and then would be at liberty should they want to buy the more difficult parts like wheels, suspensions etc. But the plans would have to be right or otherwise you could be dealing with a lot of unhappy modellers. Food for Thought!!

Best Wishes

Dave

I'll give you 200.00 to build me one! You can even leave off the suspension and wheels/tires!

I am really wanting to build an East spread tri axle with the first axle being a pusher. The shape of the verticle supports on the sides of the bed are holding me back.

How did you make yours? Do they have the 30 degree (approx.) sides on each upright rib?

hi Dave, i bought some alpine green engine enamel at a parts store,its made to repaint detroit diesel engine parts....works real good.....does anyone have a spare set of parts to build a converter dolly as in the new double header trailer set? i need one for a set of twin fuel trailers project....thanks..........mark

Hi Dave,

that is an amazing build..Looks fantastic.

As you wrote to do it as a kit I have searched through a lot of internet sites looking for some measurements and good pictures for dump trailers or bodys I haven´t found anything good enough for making some blueprints for my CNC machine.Do you know a goos source where I could find some info?Or do you have some drawings that you are willing to share with me?So maybe I could make a kit of this or similar dumptrailer....

You can email it to me

Again it´s a great work that you have done on this rig.

Regards,Chris

• 4 weeks later...

I have built the butterfly hood for the Autocar. I used the kit hood and modified it to suit. The piano hinges are from Model Car Garages. I was going to paint it last weekend. But the weather is too cold at the moment. So I will have to wait!!! :D I added some extra photo's to my albumn.

http://public.fotki.com/oldalbion/autocar-a64b-with-5/7.html

Ben, Chris,

I will produce some sketches in the near future so if anyone wants to build one they can. Whether they want to scratch build or whether someone wants to offer it as a kit.

Best Regards

Dave.

PS: Merry Christmas!!!

Ray,

The hood parts in the kit will be OK to use. The sides are already seperate. You will need to split the top pieces thats all. You may need to thin the plastic down where the hinges will fit, but apart from that its pretty straight forward just a little time consuming. I made new side pieces for the hood and modified the top ones for the Autocar because it has an extended hood on it. If you use the MCG hinges be sure to slightly rough the face that will glue to the hood parts. I found that if you did not do this the glue (Cyanoacrylate) does not "key" very well and the hinge falls off!! :D

Dave

Ben,

Just noticed your avatar. That Cummins looks great have you any photo's of it? I'd like to have a closer look if you don't mind.

Thanks

Dave

Hey Dave, thanks! I have a whole album with pics. That's the motor that's going in my Smokey and the Bandit Kenworth. I wanted to put a 1693 Cat in it but nobody makes one. I just made the Fotki album and don't know the exact link yet but i'll send you a personal message with my email. If you email me, I can send you the link.

Ben,

Just had a look through your albumn. Superb!!! That is a great looking build. I love the details especially the battery box and tool box. You need to start your own thread on this since this is a truly magnificant build.

Dave

Thank you dave, coming from you, that's a heck of a compliment!!!!!! I can't get the hang of posting pics on here but i'll start a new topic with the link.

Thanks for the kind words!

• 5 months later...

Well its been 2 1/2 years since I started this build and I am pleased to say that it is finished. It certainly seems like a long time ago. There have been many modifications and much scratch building to achieve the final result. But I am pleased with the outcome. This has been both a challenge and an Education. Hope you enjoy the final result. Many Thanks for looking.

http://public.fotki.com/oldalbion/autocar-a64b-with-5/043.html

Dave

WOW!!! That is an aggressive looking rig! Nice job shoehorning that Detroit into that tractor! What was the basis for the trailer? Did you start with the AMT kit? With two AMT kits??? I have a Tri-axle gravel trailer kit and have been wanting to build either an Autocar or R model Mack to go with it... I think I need to build an Autocar as this is one FINE looking combo!

Chris, TJ,

Thanks for the comments.

The hood has been extended 10 scale inches and the radiator and the hood are 4 scale inches taller than the real thing. This I think adds to the overall appearance of the truck in keeping with the size of the trailer.

The trailer is scratch built. The only parts I bought were the suspension parts, wheels and tyres. These I got from KFS.

Thanks for looking

Dave

Chris, TJ,

Thanks for the comments.

The hood has been extended 10 scale inches and the radiator and the hood are 4 scale inches taller than the real thing. This I think adds to the overall appearance of the truck in keeping with the size of the trailer.

The trailer is scratch built. The only parts I bought were the suspension parts, wheels and tyres. These I got from KFS.

Thanks for looking

Dave

Great job!