Model Cars Magazine Forum

teach an old dog new tricks?

Getting back to modeling after almost 50 years and need some help on the basics. 1- What to do with the blank spots left after removing chrome parts from sprues? 2- Best way to use CA or crazy glue. Just a dab, or hold together and apply to seams? I know, for you all these are second nature, But for a guy who used to use hacksaw blades to chop tops, tooth pics for spark plugs, and made his own body putty out of sprue sandings and glue, it's a whole new world. Heck, we didn't have pin vises. Needed a small hole? Heated up a needle and pushed it through. Thanks in advance.

First off Welcome! :D

When I have "blank spots" on chrome such as a bumper...................I take the hard route and have then replated somewhere such as Chrometech or Little Motor Kar Company. It costs money...........but the results are well worth it.

Some guys like to use "Aclad" which is a very reflective "chrome" paint. This is the cheaper way to go, but it requires being skilled with an airbrush. Another way would be to use Bare Metal Foil which can be found at most good Hobby Shops. The only caveat with this method is if you're only covering the bare spots, this can lead to an spotchy appearance as the chrome shine won't be the same.

As far as super glues, I highly recommend using a toothpick or some such thing to apply it. Just put a small tab on something discardable (such as an AOL startup CD :D ) and apply it in small amounts. Stuck fingers can be embarrasing! :blink:

Hope some of this helps!

Thanks for the input. However, as I said, I'm not looking to build show quality cars, so the added expense of re-plating is out of my range. I know that gold leaf which can be just applied and burnished is available at resonable cost. Is such a thing available in chrome? If not, it should be. I'm sure that there are a bunch of modelers out there that would snap it up. As far as air brushing, for me, forget it. I'm just now learning how to use the rattle cans.

Welcome back m408. To touch up those missing areas on chrome, try Bare metal foil. It is thin aluminum foil with adhesive on the backside. It works great for those kind of things. You can order it online or buy it at your local hobby shop.

As far as glues go, try epoxy. It allows more time in parts positioning and doesnt fog chrome.

Bare Metal Foil, or "BMF", does a pretty good job, most chrome parts are attached to the sprue in places that are not very visible (like the bottom edge of bumpers) so you won't see much of it anyway. BMF can be a bit difficult to find, but Hobby Lobby carries Model Master (I think that's the brand anyway) foil which is pretty much the same thing. Testors Chrome Silver enamel can also be used for small touch-ups. None of above will look perfect, but will probably be your only choice if you don't want to rechrome or use an airbrush to spray Alclad.

BTW: BMF is nice, thin and very flexible, and a great material to use for chrome trim instead of silver paint. Here's a picture to give you an idea of what it looks like when you apply it to the trim on a model. I'm not very good with BMF so I always dread that part of a build, but I'm pretty happy with how this one turned out... :D

65impala117an8.jpg

These are some of the products that make life a little easier

post-1474-1184550484.jpg

remember ...CA glue fogs up clear parts

Thanks to all of you for your help. The thing that I have the most of, is time. I will try all of your suggestions.

hey M408, If the chrome bumpers are messed up, just go for a simple fix. Its a monochrome paint job. bumpers and even grill painted body color. It can look really cool on 70s cars. I envy you, you said the thing you have most of is time, something I wish I could say. Good luck with your model building.