Model Cars Magazine Forum

rattle can metalics

I would like to try some rattle can metalics and don't know where to start. Any special preps? what about primers or under coats? As long as I am already here, I used to have major problems painting frames when I would have to later attach parts of a different color. Was a real pain scraping paint or trying to cut tiny pieces of masking tape. I found a single hole paper punch at big lots for $0.53. I use it on regular masking tape. Makes a 3/16 round piece which can easily trimed even smaller.

Here's some of my thoughts.

Heat up the paints in hot water (not boiling, just tap hot) for few minutes before you spray

Primer is a must,

Tamiya primers are the finest in my opinion (there are other Japan ones but harder to get)

I also use the cheap Napa-brand primers for most of the body work.

For metalics, you do need a base coat if you want the candy or transparent colors to come out good.

For Candy Apple Red, I like to use copper metalic from Testors

The new House of Kolors Kustom Kolors has a lot of cool metalic colors. I think most Wal-Marts carry them now.

I use that poster tacky stuff to hold small parts to paint

I also made a paint stand from those cheap Radio Shack alligator clips and wooden sticks for hibachi chicken.

I stick these into the sides of a corragated box to hold them after painting.

my two cents

Here's some of my thoughts.

Heat up the paints in hot water (not boiling, just tap hot) for few minutes before you spray

Primer is a must,

Tamiya primers are the finest in my opinion (there are other Japan ones but harder to get)

I also use the cheap Napa-brand primers for most of the body work.

For metalics, you do need a base coat if you want the candy or transparent colors to come out good.

For Candy Apple Red, I like to use copper metalic from Testors

The new House of Kolors Kustom Kolors has a lot of cool metalic colors. I think most Wal-Marts carry them now.

I use that poster tacky stuff to hold small parts to paint

I also made a paint stand from those cheap Radio Shack alligator clips and wooden sticks for hibachi chicken.

I stick these into the sides of a corragated box to hold them after painting.

my two cents

Thanks Gregg,

I read a lot of good stuf about Tamiya paints. Does it hold true for the small bottles? All I have ever used is Testors and have no referance for comparison.

I know absolutly nothing about using automotive primers or paints on plastic models. I know that they are less expensive, but have been afraid of melting the plastic. Are the primers compatable with both laquer and enamel? Again, I have been out of this for 40 years and have a lot of catching up to do.

I too do the alligator clip thing in boxes. (also to hold small together while gluing.)

Another thing that I do that may be old hat to you pros, but maybe not. For things like dash boards, fenders, hoods, etc...I'll take a small length of left over sprue, carve one end down to about 1/16" or 1/8", spot glue the small end to an underside or otherwise non visable of the part to be painted, then use the alligator clip thing. Makes for easy handling during painting and minimum of touch up.

Tamiya spray paints are THE standard for model paints.

The bottle paints are acrylics, which are totally different.

The spray cans are lacquer based.

They actually work best over bare plastic, clean and fine sanded of course.

You can spray them over primer, but it's incredible that you can spray directly on the plastic.

My favorite paints are the automotive touch up paints, such as Dupli Color.

The variety of colors is very good

You do need to use an automotive primer first though

I use a primer surfacer for the body work, and then a primer sealer.

I, too, use a lot of metallic paints. But for me, I use the Wal-Mart $.95 primer paints in light grey and flat black. I like using Dupli-Color paints from my local Automotive store, seems they have a better selection than my local hobby store (LHS). Also, the Dupli-Color paints don't "run" as easy as the Testor's paints do (in my opinion).

If you want to see how your paint will look with different primer's or different color's of primers, you can use the spoon trick. Whereas, you get several plastic spoons, primer them, then shoot your color over the primer. You don't use much paint with this, and you won't have to "strip" your model if it doesn't turn out the way you like.

Hope this helps and welcome back to the hobby <_<

STEVE