Model Cars Magazine Forum

2012 lowrider tour!

wgflatliner

Guest JamesDE

Getting there with paint on the motor and starting assembly... Still needs to be wired up... And starting on the chassis...

d5909e24.jpg

1b0d3525.jpg

Guest JamesDE

Thank you sir! Hoping to go to hobby lobby and grab up some paint tomorrow.... If all goes well, I should have the interior in paint and the body at least in primer by Wednesday evening...

ok, started the painting process and will have pics of the process.

started off by doing any/all body work, then primered with Tamiya white primer.

Followed up with Model Master 1451 Aluminum Plate Metalizer paint

DSC03633.jpg

After that was done, i proceeded to start painting the green, lightest color first of course.

I put more emphasis on the roof because i want that area to be predominately that color, separating itself from the rest of the body but in the same color spectrum.

DSC03638.jpg

you can tell the sides are a little lighter.

while i was waiting for the body to cure i started messing around with the interior. somebody gave me a couple bucket seats. i'll be using that for the rear seat bench area and plan on making some sort of design around them so it's not just two bucket seats sitting on a bench seat. :P

DSC03640.jpg

i'm removing the separating wall between the rear seat and the trunk so you can see through it. at least that's what i THINK i want to do. once my mind kicks in gear i'm sure i'll decide on what i want to do with that. if i turn those back seats into a bench seat (bench bucket seat!) then i'll make a rear wall area with an amp rack and speakers. this also shows that the top of the wheel wells will be able to handle some interior foam or felt and flow well with the rest of the interior.

DSC03642.jpg

test fitting shows the trunk fitting great with the foam on the floor.

DSC03641.jpg

alright i'm in the second stage of what i will consider a complicated paint job. the roof is going to be my starting point.

here's how i get the thin tape. you can take two #11 blades and tape them together. doing so will produce a gap between the two edges. i then lay down the tape on wax paper or the backing of what used to hold bare metal foil, making sure to make the strips longer than the section i plan on masking.

DSC03645.jpg

i then measured the length of the inner edges of the rear window frame and windshield frame to find absolute center. using the thin tape that i had cut, i make sure to start by pressing the tape on one side, and pull on the tape so there's no slack, and bring it down in a smooth motion to the middle of the other side of the roof. don't tug too hard on the tape or it'll break. after i got the center strip in, i then eyeballed the other lines, starting to begin with an over all pattern.

DSC03646.jpg

DSC03648.jpg

next was a couple strips on the rear pillars. i had to eyeball them to get them as close as possible on both sides.

DSC03647.jpg

finally, i got to looking at it and thought the roof needed a little curve being the car is going to have some sort of leprechaun theme (thinking shamrock). so i came up with the final curve in the roof.

DSC03650.jpg

in the end, the parts with the tape will remain the green that you see, and next will be the darker green, and masking will begin for that stage. pics will come when i get to that stage.

JamesDE. Good colour choice, will look excellent with all the chrome.

Joker,,Caprice looks real good.You just need to build a Lowrider tow-rig now.

Mark, thanks for the tips on the tape work.

Do you work out and draw a design for the patterns on paper before you start laying tape or do you make it up as you go along ??.

Also are you using Tamiya tape ??.

Edited by Cool Hand

JamesDE. Good colour choice, will look excellent with all the chrome.

Joker,,Caprice looks real good.You just need to build a Lowrider tow-rig now.

Mark, thanks for the tips on the tape work.

Do you work out and draw a design for the patterns on paper before you start laying tape or do you make it up as you go along ??.

Also are you using Tamiya tape ??.

I am using tamiya tape. You don't have to cut perfectly straight because it will be thin enough to bend and curve.

As far as designs, I will look to see what others have done with their paint schemes so I can get a rough idea on how they use the body lines. This is for both 1:1 and models. I create my patterns on the fly remembering the use of body lines used by others. For the most part I can see body lines and just get creative.

With this model I will be making stencils with miniature shamrocks/clovers so I can integrate them into the scheme with the paint

This works for both spray paint and airbrush.

The part that is going to be difficult for me is figuring out how to airbrush the murals. I am going to have an evil leprechaun on either the trunk or hood but want to try another mural on the opposite. I'm just not sure what would look cool and tie the theme together. I do not want decals, as I want to challenge myself and try to get better. (not saying decals don't take skill, I am just challenging myself)

Great tape class mark...going to use the #11 tip on my next build.

The 76 Caprice is now getting towed to Under Glass.

DSCN0987-vi.jpg

James aka Joker

Nice job!

The cool thing about the #11 trick is you can wedge little things of tape between the two and/or position it where you can adjust the width of the lines.

i laid down my second green, which is slightly darker than the bright green pearl. it's a boyd color and reminds me of lime ice or something that has a hint of gold pearl in it. i didn't add any other pinstriping from the previous pictures.

once this layer of paint completely cures, then i'll keep the masking strips in place, and add more on top. this keeps the bright green pearl lines masked and you don't have to worry about bleed through.

DSC03653.jpg

DSC03651.jpg

DSC03652.jpg

i have about three more total colors to add to the mix. a dark green pearl, chezoom teal and aluma yellow pearl (to represent the gold)

Guest JamesDE

Well I've been busy with mine.... Got the chassis painted and the interior is finished.... As well as a mockup to see how it looks... I'm thinking front lifted and rear dropped....

1911eeff.jpg

a5856602.jpg

782bf613.jpg

06171943.jpg

3800cff0.jpg

I do apologize if my pics aren't super quality.... I'm using my iPad to snap pics...I am unable to work so funds are limited at the moment til disability kicks in