Model Cars Magazine Forum

'48 Ford Coupe Street Rod

mrmike

Cool color and nice clean work. Sould be a real looker when you're done! :)

I did a mockup of the Ford and I didn't like it. The nose sits too high. ... I took apart the front suspension and cut off the spindles and mounted them higher on the front axle....This should help lower the nose a bit.

I agree. Get that nose down. You're on the right track but I suspect you're being a little conservative on the drop. I think that front axle is the same or very similar to the one in Revell's '40 Ford Standard Coupe. I lowered the front end on one of those a great deal using the same technique you used but with a good deal more drop. The bottom of the spindles were above the top of the axle on mine. Here's picture of the front end and also one of the result (I left the back end stock and ran big slicks for mucho rake...).

DSCF5077-web.jpg

DSCF5157-web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

Thanks guys! Bernard, I want a little rake, not a lot as you suggest. I am using the stock front axle which does limit the amount of drop in the front suspension, but as I said, I want a little rake.

Some progress this afternoon. I got the interior in, front grille and headlight buckets in, and the hood in place. I still need to put in the headlight lenses and windshield wipers and to add more detailing to the grille.

48Ford32.jpg

48Ford33.jpg

I installed the taillights and I'm debating whether to add more chrome pieces to the lid or not.

48Ford34.jpg

More to come...

Nice! I dig the combination of stock grill and louvered hood. Very hot rod!

I wasn't suggesting the radical rake of my '40, the result of oversized rear tires and stock height rear suspension, and very much what I was after, It's just that you probably will want to bring the nose down to something along the lines of the rear height and I suspect you might have to add some more drop. In my case I also was using the stock front axle, so a wide range of drop can be achieved using this method.

I'm looking forward to seeing more, more, more... This will be one sweet ride when you're done.

Edited by Bernard Kron

Richard, I had thought about doing that but opted for the Ford Engine Blue instead.

Last night I got the wheels and tires mounted to the chassis.
48Ford35.jpg
I decided to use the exhaust system from the Revell '68 Dodge Dart GTS. I started by separating the head pipes from the mufflers. I'll paint the exhaust tips with gloss black enamel paint and paint them in the morning with Alclad II Chrome paint. The mufflers and pipes will be paint with Aluminium Metalizer paint.
48Ford36.jpg
I needed to widen some of the openings in the frame for the exhaust to fit through. I'll touch up the scraped areas with Tamiya X-18 Semi Gloss Black paint.
48Ford37.jpg
More to come...