Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for a bit of help with the peterbilt 353 "western life"

I'm building my first truck model and have come into a little problem, on the peterbilt 353 by revell i have just started the final assembly and The engine cover will not tilt forwards due to the front fenders hitting the cylinders (no truck knowledge, i don't know the name ) attached to the cab. Has anybody else built this kit ? if so how did you get around this issue ? i have followed the instructions to a T and can not for the life of me work out if i have made a mistake or if the kit is just a really poor fit.

many thanks in advance for any help or advise offered

- phil

If you using the round fenders,sounds like the step on the fenders is hitting the cylinders AKA air cleaners or air cleaner canisters.

could be hood a bit to short or the steps a bit to large,Maybe a bit of sanding would help. I have a number of these kits.

As for me I have never used the so called pit fenders 3 sided flat fenders ,I understand there not the rite shape and that could be it too. Think tim can help he has built a few.:)

Picture.jpg

Edited by clayton

If you using the round fenders,sounds like the step on the fenders is hitting the cylinders AKA air cleaners or air cleaner canisters.

could be hood a bit to short or the steps a bit to large,Maybe a bit of sanding would help. I have a number of these kits.

Picture.jpg

Hey Clayton,

Your wheathering is by far the best I have seen in years!!! LOL LOL. Is it working for Dust Collector Ltd???

Kostas.

I'm building my first truck model and have come into a little problem, on the peterbilt 353 by revell i have just started the final assembly and The engine cover will not tilt forwards due to the front fenders hitting the cylinders (no truck knowledge, i don't know the name ) attached to the cab. Has anybody else built this kit ? if so how did you get around this issue ? i have followed the instructions to a T and can not for the life of me work out if i have made a mistake or if the kit is just a really poor fit.

many thanks in advance for any help or advise offered

- phil

Phil,

Clayton is correct about the round feeders, but if you are using the other feeders you should cut the lower section of the air cleaners in order to make them sorter and let space for the feeders to tilt the hood.

Anyway keep in mind that those feeders are incorrect and the result is a faux 353. The 353 model had a buterfly hood. If you want an acurate truck, go on with the round feeders to make the 359 model.

You should post some pictures, maybe someone else have overtake this issue with an other way.

Kostas.

Phil,

Clayton is correct about the round feeders, but if you are using the other feeders you should cut the lower section of the air cleaners in order to make them sorter and let space for the feeders to tilt the hood.

Anyway keep in mind that those feeders are incorrect and the result is a faux 353. The 353 model had a buterfly hood. If you want an acurate truck, go on with the round feeders to make the 359 model.

You should post some pictures, maybe someone else have overtake this issue with an other way.

Kostas.

that's rite I forgot about the butterfly hood. would you like too tell him what one is.

awesome thanks for the help guys, i was using the pit fenders and they just do not fit, i'll get on with the rounded fenders, hopefully i can get the paint to match the hood !

I'm quite glad it wasn't just me having a bit of a brain fart. My knowlege of trucks pretty much starts and stops at "they pull stuff" I just followed the instructions and built it box stock. I have no idea why revell would include these "pit fenders" when the fit is so bad, nevermind have them as the box stock option.

I'll post the pics when i'm finished, I'm sure with it being my first attempt at a truck i have a lot to learn !

awesome thanks for the help guys, i was using the pit fenders and they just do not fit, i'll get on with the rounded fenders, hopefully i can get the paint to match the hood !

I'm quite glad it wasn't just me having a bit of a brain fart. My knowlege of trucks pretty much starts and stops at "they pull stuff" I just followed the instructions and built it box stock. I have no idea why revell would include these "pit fenders" when the fit is so bad, nevermind have them as the box stock option.

I'll post the pics when i'm finished, I'm sure with it being my first attempt at a truck i have a lot to learn !

Yep!!

A butterfly hood opens like a butterfly. Like on the model "T" or "A".