Model Cars Magazine Forum

Review Renaissance BMW M1 Trans kit for Revell

With the re-release of the Revell Esci BMW M1 Pro Car kit, I thought it would be a great idea to break out a couple of the kits I had been sitting on for a few years and build them. The plan is to build the Lauda M1 Pro Car and the Group 4 spec M1 as driven by Stuck et al at Le Mans. Both cars are in Marlboro livery. The cars will be displayed side by side to show the subtle differences in specification.

Besides the Day Glow Orange and White paint jobs would liven up the display shelf!

The Pro Car spec version is good from the Revell box, requiring very little in the way of extra detail massage. The Group 4 spec car on the other hand has many extra, but very subtle details.

French aftermarket supplier, Renaissance, offers a trans kit that fits the bill!

I attempted to order direct from Renaissance, but due to language issues I was unable to find my way, even with Google translator on, through their website.

I found the kit # Tk 24/333 available from Spot Model of Spain.

As an aside to the review, Spot Model is an absolute joy to deal with. Delivery was on time, complete and professionally packaged. I recommend them highly…….other after market dealers can learn a lot from Spot Model.

The kit arrived just before Christmas and was examined with enthusiasm as I was anxious to get rolling with the next build.

The kit contains appropriate decals with good registration, when compared to similar decals from Studio 27 (for the Pro Car spec build) the Renaissance decals Day Glow Orange impressions appeared slightly washed out. This is not a complaint, as they are extremely usable, but it is an observation, made by direct side by side comparison. All other colors matched the Studio 27 decals.

The kit includes an exquisite machined brass air hose coupler, of the type used to activate air jacks. It is so tiny I just about missed it when I dumped the parts out of the tiny zip closed bag! Other machined metal parts include two, fuel dry brakes, of aluminum. Included with the machined dry brakes, are two resin cast sleeves into which the dry brakes will reside when installed on the car. The resin castings are well defined and feature recessed screws molded into the lip!

Two rear fender flares are also provided with the trans kit and while they did not fit the quarter panels of either of my two Revell kits perfectly, they are acceptable and will work some sanding and filler.

The bonnet (hood) is a great disappointment. Sad actually, especially when it comes from an old and respected caster. Large pinholes permeate the poorly cast louvers. Pin holes of this size are rare these days, especially with pressure chamber resin casting. I am amazed that this component got out of the factory. But pinholes are not the only bug a boo on this piece. The beading around the louvers is not even symmetrical! It is fat and flat on the RH side yet crisp and properly defined on the LH side. Reverse beading is uneven as is the leading edge beading. It is my belief the master was slipshod in its execution and its casting was done without care.

Fortunately on my build the color scheme will hide a lot of the imperfections (after I rework it) but in my view a part that is in such a focal point as the hood, should be nearly perfect in its design and production execution.

How would I rate this trans kit from Renaissance?

2.5 Glue Tubes out of a possible 5.

A shame really as their portfolio includes some desirable subject matter. I must think twice about dropping major bucks on a complete kit from Renaissance, especially after what I have received in what should be a very basic trans kit.

Regards Brian Kroon

post-11133-0-75807500-1419828283_thumb.jpost-11133-0-69028700-1419828299_thumb.jpost-11133-0-14730000-1419828331_thumb.jpost-11133-0-60912500-1419828358_thumb.jpost-11133-0-13266900-1419828384_thumb.j

I can't quite figure Renaissance out. I have been reluctant to order much of their resin because the quality is all over the place.

Yes its almost as though they farm it out like some sewing factories farm out jobs to to home sewers. The quality was all over the map in just one transkit!

Regards

Brian Kroon

Edited by GlueTube

that is a shame about that hood. only thing I could suggest is to cut those louvers out altogether and replace with a box of louvers made from strip plastic. I would be pissed especially with that being the main piece in the kit.

jb

Thats exactly my plan , JB.

Im not pissed, but extremely disappointed.

Regards

Brian Kroon

one thing in particular that I would be upset about is that when you cut apart that hood or try to cut the square of louvers out of it, if it was me doing it, taking into consideration that it is resin and not styrene, for sure the hood would fall apart in my hands. and then I would end up having to make a whole hood and it would never be as good as it could have been.

thinking that way I would consider trying to get a replacement somehow...as long as it was better. is there a snail mail address for the company? that might get their attention.

anyway best of luck and I'm sure it will come out great despite the hurdles!

jb