Model Cars Magazine Forum

1992 Ford F-350 service truck

This is coming along nicely Mike!! B) I like the extra details, especially the lug nuts!!

I'm working on building a model of our '95 F-350 Crewcab as a present for my wife. I like your cross member swap.

I'll be watching your progress with interest!

The Modelhaus utility body is great! I bought 4 of them for projects.

Here's my finished Dodge Ram Service truck.

MarksModels065-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I also have two Chevy Duallies that are in the works mated with that utility body.

The fourth project I was considering doing was a '95 Ford Service truck.

Edited by Wheels

The placement of your engine looks spot on Mike. Did it take much work to get it there? I really like what you did with the master cylinder and the wheels/tires. You probably already thought of it,but you can use the fender badges from the F350 on there too.

This is coming along nicely Mike!! B) I like the extra details, especially the lug nuts!!

I'm working on building a model of our '95 F-350 Crewcab as a present for my wife. I like your cross member swap.

I'll be watching your progress with interest!

The Modelhaus utility body is great! I bought 4 of them for projects.

Here's my finished Dodge Ram Service truck.

MarksModels065-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I also have two Chevy Duallies that are in the works mated with that utility body.

The fourth project I was considering doing was a '95 Ford Service truck.

Mark, that Dodge is great, love the details in the bed, and I might borrow the dirty tire idea. Very realistic.

The placement of your engine looks spot on Mike. Did it take much work to get it there? I really like what you did with the master cylinder and the wheels/tires. You probably already thought of it,but you can use the fender badges from the F350 on there too.

Roger, the engine swap wasn't too hard. Some trimming to the chassis around the back of the trans, lower the rear cross member a couple of millimeters, and bring the radiator and shroud forward were the only real things. All of the hoses had to be cut and sectioned, Monogram exhaust worked but with several mods, pretty much everything connected to it needed a little tweaking. With the Monogram cross member, it sits right on the factory mounts and centers up well. Yes, I'm going to use the F-350 fender emblems, I just have to remove the tiny XLT Lariat lettering from under the numbers.

-MJS

Dang!! that is looking Great.

Engine and Brakebooster is really something..

Love the Lug nuts. really got to find me a bunch of those.

One thing tho.. the Front wheels..

The center is a Plastic cap and the real lugnuts are under it.

Don't ask my why they did that tho..

Dang!! that is looking Great.

Engine and Brakebooster is really something..

Love the Lug nuts. really got to find me a bunch of those.

One thing tho.. the Front wheels..

The center is a Plastic cap and the real lugnuts are under it.

Don't ask my why they did that tho..

Ha! I was wondering if someone would catch that. Absolutely right, they are black plastic caps on the real wheels. My thought here is that these Budd wheels were made in a number of backspaces which were used depending on the brake and hub combo used on the 1:1s. Some I've seen looked like this, with the lugs out further. I probably should have added a little filler around the cap to blend them together better, always something to add to the next dually build, and there will be a next dually build.

What about the power windows Mike? Are you going to remove the pods and install cranks or just leave them be?

Roger, now that's a great idea that I never thought of, but it's too late now. Shoot, I even have an old photoetch interior set with several window crank styles. The door panels are very sparse and plain on the AMT kit, so they have the right work truck feel to them. I guess we can say that the company ordered it with power windows and locks, which was fairly common.

Finished interior, paint is again Plastikote primer, lightly buffed with a paper towel, basic paint detailing, kit supplied era-correct hard wired cell phone, and the shift and turn signal stocks added from the Monogram kit.

PC140210.jpg

I'm not sure what this thing from the parts box was, but now it's an A/C accumulator.

PC310134.jpg

The chassis is mostly finished. Paint is Duplicolor semi gloss chassis black with a coat of Testors flat, suspension and rear end are the semigloss without flat, engine is Ford grey, transmission, exhaust, and other details are Plastikote cast finish aluminum, the best rattle can silver ever.

PC140208.jpg

PC140204.jpg

The spare wheel is a Monogram front, stripped, lug nut holes drilled, and painted like the others. Tire is a '70s era Monogram from the parts box, center was much too big for the wheel, so I cut a chunk out of it and glued it together. The tire bracket hides the seam.

PC140205.jpg

Next: paint.

-MJS

Cab and bed painted, paint is Duplicolor white in their import line, a close match for the slightly off-white Ford fleet white. Applied over Plastikote primer. Very nice paint, no reaction at all with bare plastic scraps that I tried it on, two coats did full coverage, and it has scale appearing orange peel. The only finishing necessary was rubbing it out with Treatment model wax, and that was it. Decals were made on my printer, first ones I have ever made. Not quite as nice as screen printed decals, but quick and easy to do. I chose Ingersoll-Rand because I'm a big fan of their pneumatic power tools.

PC140203.jpg

I added a small plastic rectangle for the antenna base.

PC140201.jpg

Most final assembly is done now, so the next update may be in the Under Glass forum.

-MJS