Model Cars Magazine Forum

Seventies Ford Econoline 'Wizard' Van

The Rommel's Rod is almost finished and it has been a while since I had a true challenge for me and my airbrush, so instead of going for an easy paintjob, I decided to go way difficult and over my head haha.

I started this van somewhere in 2009, but quickly stopped due to poor fitting and so much work that has to be done, but since it is the perfect canvas and I want to enter a contest with it in March, I decided to take it and go full on.

Most of my day yesterday and today, I've spent on sanding, sanding and sanding. And I am still not done, but I think the biggest obstacle on this build is getting it prepped, other than that, I should be able to handle it within a month.

So, my goal is to get the car it's basecoat the latest on sunday, which is a challenge, since the outdoor temperature is about 0 fahrenheit and it is quite cold in the attic. I can do assembly work in the livingroom, but prefer to do all the sanding and painting up in the attic.

My plan is to go wild custom on this build, make it a bit more modern and use a lot of custom-things. I have no idea which way to go with wheels and stuff, but see that later, when the car will have it's graphics.

Some pictures:

wizard001.jpg

wizard002.jpg

wizard003.jpg

wizard004.jpg

wizard005.jpg

Thanks guys! The scale doesn't bother me really, it is my only 1/20 scale, but since I build anything between 1/25 and 1/8, it doesnt bother me, as long as I have fun haha.

@DC: not completely, I do have a idea in my head, but I need to work as I go along and hope I make the right choices. I've never done something like this before and I hope it works.

I was able to put the final primer coat on today, which means I could start on the paintjob as well. I went a lot faster than I thought up front, I thought it was going to take me all week to get all the panels sorted out, but here we are, wednesday evening and I already finished the mural.

Anyway; I let the pictures do the talking in this project.

In the box of parts ( that is what I got, a big box full of parts, of which I can make at least 2 vans, (the wizard & Shock-treatment), but I also have some parts from a black van.

One of the parts was a front spoiler lip, I liked it and fixed it to the car.

wizard022.jpg

wizard023.jpg

wizard024.jpg

All the doors had to be fixed too, there were a lot of shrink-marks and I filled the key-holes.

wizard025.jpg

The car, finally in Primer.

wizard026.jpg

After the car was ready, I could start with the airbrushing, these are the items (next to paint) I might going to need for the mural, I didn't use the glossy and the stickers, but I might needed it, so I had them available.

wizard027.jpg

The car, ready in the paintbooth after a little prep-sanding with 3200 grit. And before the 2! hour airbrushing.

wizard028.jpg

The first thing I did was to paint the black background and made some stars, using white paint and ultra-low pressure from the compressor. After this picture I did the same thing with light-blue, yellow and red.

wizard029.jpg

Using a template, I made some moons and planets.

wizard030.jpg

It's shown a bit better in this picture.

wizard031.jpg

I got the black paint and put a light coat on top of the moons and planets, this makes them a little less bright and more to the background. I also added some stars, by using 2 straight lines accross.

wizard032.jpg

After I was happy with the space art, I started working on the foreground, I used another template and different colors of grey to create depth

wizard033.jpg

The other side of the van, showing another mural in the same style

wizard034.jpg

And the look after all the layers for the foreground were ready

wizard035.jpg

The final thing I had to do, was to create some fog, for the 'connecting'-lines, but that will explain itself after I have the next paintjob on it.

wizard036.jpg

Looking good! :) I really wish someone would do a kit of this year/model of van in 1/24-1/25 scale.

If they had they woulda sold as well as the Chevy an Dodge vans!!! Never could figger out why they did this in 20th scale instead of the MPC more normal 25th scale. GREAT job Eric!!!! :D:);)

Thanks guys!

@Bart, there were several versions of this van, so it is quite plausible it was a different version of this kit.

Guys, I need your honest opinion! I am in between of continueing or restart the project. I am not all that happy with the paintjob, it doesn't look too bad, but I think there are many flaws in the project, too much to make it look nice.

wizard055.jpg

wizard056.jpg

wizard057.jpg

What I need to hear from you guys, if I should stick with this or just start over. (even though it has taken me 16 hours of work yesterday)

in my honest opinion... i would say the top colour takes the effect away from the wicked planets airbrushing... i would say keep the bottom colour to break it up but i would of left the top as it was. but thats my opinion either way she looks sweet as mate

that is awesome love the paint job. I have to agree with stuart on this one.wizard036.jpg

this looks wicked as it was I like the top color as you finished it but would have loved to see more of your detail show thru that you have here. But that is just my opinion and coming from someone that hasnt lifted an airbrush in over a year I can t say much. Your work is totally awesome and keep it up. I love the detail on this van in this pic.

Thanks for the honest opinions and I am sorry not to reply earlier, but I went to sanding the whole van (and there was lots of it) and missed a bit of motivation to get on airbrushing again.

But, I redid the car and now made the whole van 'space-art', without any solid colors.

Pictures will follow soon