Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Hello All.... I wanted to share the beginning stages of the body tin work I am doing for this build. So far I think it is coming along pretty good, it's a little tricky but trying to run it thru my mind how I will do it and I decided to first start with some sort of frame structure around the chassis that I will work from. Anyway here is the progress....

Here I have started with some angle styrene to build the structure that will go around the chassis:

DP-Army-Vega3055-1_zps1fc9e11d.jpg

Next I placed the parts on the chassis to see how it was looking:

DP-Army-Vega3058-1_zps7ced8d31.jpg

I then glued the side pieces to the "U" Shaped piece that sits on the Mid Plate, Then I decided for fabrication purposes to add the two pieces of styrene on top to hold things together for support:

DP-Army-Vega3065-1_zps2ceedf5b.jpg

Here it is mocked up on the chassis:

DP-Army-Vega3066-1_zps8eaabdcc.jpg

Next I am planing on trying to figure out how I will tie the dash down to the "U" Shape piece as well as the side pieces and the rear. I will be getting more done on this tonight. So stay tuned and hoping to have more to show in a little while... B)

Chris,

I don't think I have commented on your build before but I just want to join in with the others in saying that you are doing an outstanding job on this build. I believe your build, once finished, will be what I call "GSL worthy" and will be competing for many Best in Show awards. Keep up the good work and I look forward to more updates.

Ep

Chris,

I don't think I have commented on your build before but I just want to join in with the others in saying that you are doing an outstanding job on this build. I believe your build, once finished, will be what I call "GSL worthy" and will be competing for many Best in Show awards. Keep up the good work and I look forward to more updates.

Ep

Scott... Thank you my friend

Tom.... Thank you

Erroll... Thank you for the kind words and saying that this could be GSL worthy

Well Fellas.... I had gotten a little more work done last night but was too tired to post pics. So here is an early morning update for everyone on the tin work

I started on the side pieces of the tin work cutting material from some templates that I made:

DP-Army-Vega3071-1_zpsa8b2f10d.jpg

Once Done with both sides I had to set on the chassis:

DP-Army-Vega3083-1_zps255cd4d9.jpg

And well of course I had to mock it up with the body to check the fit:

DP-Army-Vega3074-1_zpsdacbf531.jpg

Next up was fabricating the firewall portion of the tin work;

DP-Army-Vega3087-1_zpsb77f3c56.jpg

Next was to somewhat mock up the pieces to see how it all looked. I still have to sand the firewall portion to get it to fit inside of the body a little better:

DP-Army-Vega3090-1_zpsffae3d3a.jpg

Chris, your build is incredible and I must say you are a brave man to have so many parts in primer and paint while still creating additional pieces. I would be afraid of scratching something while the process continues. Kudos to your efforts!

James... Thank you!

Mark.... Thanks bud... Well I will be honest I have been wanting to paint the chassis so bad but wanted to get this tin work done before hand because of how many times I am test fitting parts lol. This tin work has been a little challenge but will be worth it when it's finished I think. I should have some more progress up later

Hello All... a little afternoon update for ya ;) ....

I started the Fire Wall section of the Body Tin work and I had scribbed a line in the panel so I could bend it at a certain angle:

DP-Army-Vega3097-1_zpse35f6d4f.jpg

I then got the Fire Wall tacked into place with the Dash:

DP-Army-Vega3117-1_zpsa4f6475d.jpg

View from another angle:

DP-Army-Vega3122-1_zps2285521d.jpg

I then threw the side pieces on to get a better idea of how things would look:

DP-Army-Vega3123-1_zps1be3cfda.jpg

Here is a side view to show the angle at which I made the fire wall:

DP-Army-Vega3127-1_zps9f44387a.jpg

Here was a test fit with the Body on the chassis:

DP-Army-Vega3099-1_zpsf234e700.jpg

The Dash:

DP-Army-Vega3102-1_zpsdfa6a975.jpg

Here are shots of the body on with the side pieces laid on place. I still have to glue the side pieces in but I need to make a small change to the rear of this tin work to get the mounting where I want it to go:

DP-Army-Vega3106-1_zps7703f12c.jpg

Opposite side:

DP-Army-Vega3109-1_zps41e1e121.jpg

Thank you Joe... this has been a bit of a headache but I think it has been worth it...lol. I can't tell you how many times I would sand a part and then test fit....sand and test fit... sand and test fit....haha but its getting closer to being done. I still have a ways to go but its getting much closer. Can't wait to have this tin work finished.

LOL Bill.... You don't know how bad I would liked doing this out of brass or aluminum. I just thought it was easier to go with plastic since I wasn't sure how I was actually gonna do the tin work and started off by winging it.

Chris, nice work on the tin so far. This is one area that is always a little tricky.... cut, test fit, sand, test fit, file, test fit (did I say test fit?) once you're finished you'll feel like you just built another whole model LOL. Keep it going buddy!

Charlie

Pro Tech

Jim... Thank you so much for the kind words about this build. You are welcome for sharing my progress. Thank you for following along on this one. I enjoy sharing my progress with everyone and if someone can learn something from how I build thats a bonus. I know I have learned so much from many people here

Steve... thanks man. I will say that the tin work is always tricky....lol

John... Thanks Big Brother. I am excited to almost have the body tins almost done. So tell me how big of a Uhal did you and Art have to bring back from GSL ;)

Charlie... Thanks Man. You are so right about Tins being tricky. I can't tell you how many time I have sanded and test fitted and felt like it wasn't gonna end...haha You are right that the tin work is a model it self. I may need to leave it out of car...haha

Dave... Thanks buddy. This build may have two coffee table books....haha

Rodger... Thanks Man