Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ed Roth Road Agent Completed

charlzrocks

too cool! love that color and the overall look! and that reel to reel is sweet, nice detailing job! btw while 8 tracks came and went, the r-to-r remained the standard in studios and audiophile living rooms. maybe not in the trunk though!

And yeah, the reel to reel.....jeez that's pre-8 track!! LOL!

Incidentally, that Reel to reel tape deck was the cats meow back in 1964. The 1/4 inch tape was king for quality because one could adjust for a ton of things including the scratches that invariable turned up on a well used vinyl record. Plus most decks had two speeds! A huge reel of 1/4 inch tape could record two hours of musical splender at slow speed. (Talk about your love-in)

8-track tapes utilized that same technology by dividing the same 1/4" tape into 8 segments where the reel to reel used only 4. The miniaturization race was running full tilt back then and Ford got on the band wagon by offering the first 8-track tape deck in an American car with the Mustang. Lear industries developed the technology in the beginning by releasing a 4-track tape deck which was superseded very quickly by the 8-track. 4 track machines might be some of the rarest of the rare music storage devices on the planet!

Yes, I said it.. the humble 8-track tape has the same 1/4 inch tape as was found in the home reel to reel deck and the quality was the same and could be had in your CAR!!! This is the reason that 8-track became so popular - for a time.

Problems were that the technology was superseded by the advent of dolby which allowed smaller tape (cassette) systems to be developed.... which fell prey to the digital revolution....and the dominos keep falling.

>Yes, I said it.. the humble 8-track tape has the same 1/4 inch tape as was found in the home reel to reel deck and the quality

>was the same and could be had in your CAR!!! This is the reason that 8-track became so popular - for a time.

yeah it had the same tape but only one reel. that meant the feed came off the center of the reel and it was then played and wrapped around the outside of the reel while more was being pulled from the inside to continue playing.

worked pretty good for about fifty plays. but each play the tape got tighter and tighter until it either stopped or broke.

crappiest design ever. good riddance to it.

lear auto stereo actually invented, originally as a 4 track.

another problem with the 8 track was that since there were four sets of stereo tracks on the same space of tape, that meant the record companies would split an LP into four parts. problem there was it was the era of the long song. so in many many many tapes, way too many, songs would be split by a silence while the tape head changed positions and then the song started again. really poor. inna gadda da vida was unlistenable! (well it was anyhow but there you have it...ok lets say creams spoonful was unlistenable, that was something worth listening to!).

The four track cartridge actually remained quite popular in Japan with the Karaoke crowd as the first such devices were using that old Lear design. You just didn't get a monitor with a scrolling lyric text...you read those from a sheet of paper on a music stand. It was marketed in the US way into the 80s under the Singing Machine name. Singing Machine went on to cassette and then Pioneer released laser discs with a video and lyrics on screen, usually using a projector type TV. Then of course the CD+G came out in a more manageable size. Hi jack over...,Sorry!

Thank you all so much for the kind words and encouragement! After seeing all the "Masters" builds on the forum and getting some great words of wisdom from you all I dove in! These kits can be intimidating, but I resolved to test fit all the parts very carefully and be patient with myself before I applied any glue. The white walls came pretty easy with white acrylic pen and a toothpick and a steady hand. I have all the Roth bubble tops, have to yet build the Mysterion and the Beatnik Bandit II. I just scored a sweet kit off the bay, the Predicta bubble top by Daryl Starbird. I already built the Silhouette so when these are complete it will make 6 bubble top car models. I really want to design my own as well. I have the Roth Outlaw kit that I was thinking of using as the basis for it....I dunno...got to think a while. Trying to think of a good way to tint blue the bubble on the Mysterion. Already tried future and food dye.........it's too thin and only shows color when it drains and pools at the edges. I am not ready to try and spray it candy blue, could result in an overcoat. Any Ideas? :lol:

Thank you all so much for the kind words and encouragement! After seeing all the "Masters" builds on the forum and getting some great words of wisdom from you all I dove in! These kits can be intimidating, but I resolved to test fit all the parts very carefully and be patient with myself before I applied any glue. The white walls came pretty easy with white acrylic pen and a toothpick and a steady hand. I have all the Roth bubble tops, have to yet build the Mysterion and the Beatnik Bandit II. I just scored a sweet kit off the bay, the Predicta bubble top by Daryl Starbird. I already built the Silhouette so when these are complete it will make 6 bubble top car models. I really want to design my own as well. I have the Roth Outlaw kit that I was thinking of using as the basis for it....I dunno...got to think a while. Trying to think of a good way to tint blue the bubble on the Mysterion. Already tried future and food dye.........it's too thin and only shows color when it drains and pools at the edges. I am not ready to try and spray it candy blue, could result in an overcoat. Any Ideas? :unsure:

Nice build . Have you thought of trying Tamaya clear blue arcrylic ? Thin down with windshield washer cleaner or window cleaner . Spray in thin applications and do one section at a time , leaving the area just done to "tack up" before moving on to the next section . This will advoid pools . Many coats and much patience . Good luck . Keep them coming ...Thanx..

Careful guys about slamming In A Godda da Vida....IIRC it was the top selling album of all time for several years...and remained in the top 100 albums for sales for a surprising number of years.....and as for the eight tracks...everything above is true. A few years back I bought two eight track players on eBay to try to reinvigoriate my extensive eitght track collection....quickly found out that among the few tapes that were not broken (see above for explanation), the rubber rollers had turned into an oily, squishy black mess that quickly obliterated the tape head of the eight track players....oh well.

An I still like In a Godda da Vida....great album from front to back. There, I said it, and I'm proud! TIM

• 6 years later...