Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Datsun 510 BRE!

jaymcminn

This is my detailed build of the reissued Datsun 510 BRE kit. The build thread is here. http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=91937 Paint is Tamiya Italian Red over Pure White with TS15 Blue in the engine bay and underside. The kit oil and radiator lines were replaced with aluminum AN fittings and braided line. Kit chrome was stripped and sprayed with Alclad. A fair amount of correcting and massaging went into this kit to make it a little more authentic (removing molded-in windshield wipers, for example) and to clean up the flaws inherent in a kit produced from a 40-year-old tool. Overall I think it looks pretty sharp. Next Revell just needs to rerelease the 240Z!

P1030868-Copy_zpscabe055b.jpg

P1030867-Copy_zpsd484909a.jpg

P1030866-Copy_zps5ff186db.jpg

P1030875-Copy_zpsbc7e849c.jpg

P1030855-Copy_zps0faa5466.jpg

I knew they were molded in, so I wanted to see how you did yours. Those are the best I've seen!

I made mine with the solid bezel, instead of the reflectors. I think I need to go back and fix mine, now. <_< A lot of people just keep making it a solid red lens.

Edited by Zarana-X

Pretty well. The kit doesn't make 'em easy, and the design's pretty complicated to begin with. I just realized I forgot to include a pic of the rear end... here it is!

P1030873-Copy_zps67dc7f9e.jpg

Just as an FYI, the U.S. Spec version of the car came with all red tail light lenses, it was the Non U.S. spec cars that came with the Red and Amber lenses. BRE had access to the full Nissan Performance Parts arsenal so they used whatever worked and looked good.

Wow! Beautiful Build! I always thought these little race cars still kept their windshield wipers, but guess I was incorrect about that!

Nope, you are correct, these cars did have their windshield wipers. But they where removed here and there, so either way would be correct

Nope, you are correct, these cars did have their windshield wipers. But they where removed here and there, so either way would be correct

I removed the kit's molded-in wipers with the intention of replacing them with PE wipers, but most of the detail pics I saw online showed them removed. Since I hate fiddling with PE wipers I decided to take the path of least resistance!

Yes, very cool build. I did some searching of these cars, and as stated above Ive seen the all read taillights. And some with the amber, however Ive noticed the amber was darker looking on some cars, almost blended in with the red. Also noticed some didn't appear to have the inner bezel. Maybe like American spec vs. Foreign spec, and or different model years and or trim levels.