Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 Chevy Pickup - A Detail Freak's Dream Truck!

Alyn, you may have solved this for me, I'll check at my LHS tomorrow, they have a massive selection of Train stuff!

Jim, I'm a 1/2 step ahead of you, and they're way too big unfortunately...

You are making this look so real I can't believe my eyes, excellent work so far, best I've seen on this truck ever! :wub:

I am inspired! You've motivated me to get back to work on my truck (but you've set the bar so high!)

Ron, Johann, you're making my head swell, stop it..OK, not quite yet...Yeah, now I can't get through the doorway, just right! :D

Johann, get yours out and just enjoy building it, I know I'm loving this one so far! I never try to set the bar anywhere, I just build for myself, and push my limits occasionally. This one's going to have a few firsts for me, one of which you can already see in the wooden bed, there will be a few more firsts coming later! And I test-fit the filler piece at the bottom of the cab, it's not a bad fit, but I'll post some pics tomorrow night when I get home from work and you can judge for yourself, I really don't want to risk another re-paint of the cab, it looks really good right now!

Edited by Custom Mike

Thanks guys, it's looking nice from this side of the monitor too, so I'm very happy! And Alyn, I picked up some tiny bolts from my LHS yesterday. They didn't have any rivets so I'm going to be sanding some tiny bolt heads down today, wish me luck!

Now for a bit more work on the seat! Since the upper part of the seat is visible through the rear window, I had to fill in the hole in the back side of it. I added two strips of angle stock, cut a filler from .010 sheet styrene, and got to work on thinning another piece of leather. A bit of Detail Master Krome Foil was added to the arms, then gluing them down to the seat got me ready for the new seat back to be installed. A bit of Craft Bond was sprayed on the filler piece, and now we have a completed seat!

50ChevyPU133-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU135-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU136-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU139-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU141-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

And now just some random stuff I worked on yesterday. The filler piece at the back side of the bed has been modified to fit the new wood bed, a bit of paint later today will finish it off. Then I test fit the filler at the base of the cab, it's a good enough fit that I'll just glue it down, if I ever build another one of these, it'll be molded in. I'm not willing to chance re-painting the cab again, so I'll live with a filler panel that doesn't exist on the 1:1 truck. And finally, a pair of steering wheels, I'm leaning toward the one on the right, we'll see once I get going on the rest of the interior!

50ChevyPU142-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU143-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU144-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU145-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU146-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

Roger, I'm trying to find something to use as piping, there's gotta be something around here I can snag that'll do the trick! OK, more work on the bed, courtesy of Johann's suggestion. Next time you suggest this, I'm sending it to you buddy, this was a real exercise in eye-strain!

I started out with these, I picked 'em up at Hayes Hobby House...
50ChevyPU147-vi.jpg

I carefully sanded on these until they were smooth, now they look more like the carriage bolts...
50ChevyPU148-vi.jpg

A quick coat of Tamiya Gloss Aluminum...
50ChevyPU149-vi.jpg

The second set of 25, only 15 were sanded. I've got spares, since I knew I would lose a few!
50ChevyPU150-vi.jpg

And the bed, with 28 holes drilled and awaiting it's new bolts!
50ChevyPU151-vi.jpg

And putting the new bolts into the straps. I wish I could use a magnifier without feeling like I was gonna hurl, it would have made this so much easier! But it does look much better, so it was worth it!
50ChevyPU152-vi.jpg

Another shot of the first eight...
50ChevyPU153-vi.jpg

And mocked-up with the rest of the bed...
50ChevyPU154-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU155-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU156-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

Oh sure, blame me... oh wait, it was me wasn't it? Does that mean I get to take credit for the outstanding execution too :D ?

Go right ahead buddy, I wouldn't have done it without your suggestion, so take all the credit you want!

Now for the small amount of work I got in tonight. First up are the tail lights, which I'm not happy with. They'll probably be scrapped and replaced with some clear Red styrene, I just don't like the looks of 'em at all. I painted the pins that will be used for the Blue-Dots, at least they look good. Then I stripped the dash (Too many layers of paint meant it was losing it's remaining detail), re-primed it, and I'm considering making a dash pad out of the final piece of thinned leather I have laying around, what do you guys think? I also repainted the frame Semi-Gloss Black. That's all for tonight, enjoy, and let me know if the dash pad idea sounds good!

50ChevyPU157-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU159-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU160-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU161-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU162-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

I make rear fitting taillights by taking clear styrene, painting several coats of Testors Stop Light Red Metallic on the back side of the clear, and then cover the paint with BMF. You can then cut just about any size or shape of lens needed.

I like you idea for the blue dots. What paint did you use? I'd like to try those.

Mike, this build is blowing me away! The seat and bed look like a 1:1. Amazing!

Your advice was good; I just got back onto building mine and am just having fun with it. I still find myself "competing" with you, though (it's in my nature ;) ).

As for the dash pad, you could probably pull it off, but I wouldn't know where to terminate it. I'd save the leather for the door panels.

I like you idea for the blue dots. What paint did you use? I'd like to try those.

Jim, I've got some Red plastic here from an old motion detector I swapped out at work last week that will do the trick, now I just have to shape it! And the paint on the Blue Dots is Tamiya Clear Blue, beautiful stuff, ain't it?

As for the dash pad, you could probably pull it off, but I wouldn't know where to terminate it. I'd save the leather for the door panels. Oh, by the way, I love the change in the thread title: Very appropriate :lol: !

Johann, the name change came about because of the other 1950 Chevy Pickup being built by Rusty. And If I do go with the dash pad, it'll come down to the top of the trim above the glove box/speaker area which will mean it lands just above the gauge cluster, making it easy to do! And I've already started thinning more leather for the door panels, we're on the same page!