Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model competition rules of engangment

I am entering a local competition for modellers and as it is my first time i was wondering if there are any does and donts involved in this as far as i can see all i need do is pay my entry fee (it is even subsidised) place my model on the table for judging and pick it up the following day some of you more experienced modellers may be able to give me some pointers to improve my chances.(and save me from embarising myself) incidently it is a motorbike I am entering in 1:9th scale although i tend to do cars but it looks so nice and i am happy with it

I think first and foremost...don't worry about embarrasing yourself. If you like what you build, that is all that really matters. For me, contests aren't about impressing people or expectations of winning trophies. I go to meet people, look at other peoples models, possibly pick up a tip or two and deals from vendors. Where I am located I don't have to worry about winning trophies anyway because of the quality of work I'm up against (Bill Geary, Lyle Willits, Irv Arter, Jeff Sauber, Cruz ...etc etc). My advice...go, have a great time, talk to as many people as you can and don't get hung up on whether or not your model is contest worthy. If you pay the entry fee then it automatically is "contest worthy". Good luck!

Both of the previous posts cover the two most important pieces of contest advice: Execute the fundamentals first and don't forget to have fun, but there is one more bit of advice I can add: know your contest. For instance, some contests will require you to provide the kit's instructions for the Box Stock class, other contests will put anything with a decorated base in the Diorama class. If it is judged it may have to be entered by a certain time. Really it all boils down to common sense. Most shows provide a very informative flyer and/or website well in advance of the show itself. Read that information carefully and you should be plenty prepared.

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLYS GUYS TO ANSWER SOME OF YOUR POINTS THE MODEL IS VERY MUCH BOX STOCK NO AFTER MARKET PARTS WERE USED. THE PAINTS WERE TAMIYA ACRYLICS WHICH WERE X RERENCED FROM MODEL MASTER COLOURS. I ACTUALLY THOUGHT I HAD USED THE WRONG COLOUR ON THE MAIN BODY BUT LATER DISCOVERED I HAD USED THE RIGHT ONE THE IMAGES I WAS USING FROM THE INTERNET WERE FOR THE WRONG YEAR. I TOTALLY AGREE THAT THESE COMPETIONS SHOULD BE FUN BASED I UNFORTUNATLY DONT GET TOO SERIOUS ABOUT MY MODELLING. AND INFACT I AM ONLY ENTERING THE COMPETITION BECAUSE MY MODELLING BUDDY WOULD ONLY ENTER IF I ENTERED.(HE HAS ISSUES WITH SELF CONFIDENCE FOLLOWING A BREAKDOWN) HE GETS SOO IN TO DETAIL AND MANUFACTURING HIS OWN PARTS HE HAS BEEN DOING IT FOR 40 YEARS. HOPEFULLY A WIN FOR HIM WILL BOOST HIS SELF CONFIDENCE. I WILL TAKE YOUR POINTS ON BOARD AND LET YOU KNOW HOW IT ALL WENT