Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testers One Coat

Absolutely NOT. BUT, as the color IS translucent, the primer or basecoat color WILL effect the final color. A white primer or basecoat will brighten the final color, for instance.

Also some of the "One Coat" colors really aren't. The "Flaming Orange" takes 4 coats to achieve full hiding, for instance.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Guest Darkside Customs

Bill is right, it's not necessary... I do, just because it's out of habit, but I usually use a silver base coat for candies more than anything.... And it depends on the color of primer you use as a base for the one coats...

I used an orange base under the flaming orange and got a decent result with one coat but, they really need a base coat of some kind but silver isn't the only option. I would go for a base that is a shade or two lighter than the one coat color you want, that will most likely get you single coat coverage and brighten the color.

I used an orange base under the flaming orange and got a decent result with one coat but, they really need a base coat of some kind but silver isn't the only option. I would go for a base that is a shade or two lighter than the one coat color you want, that will most likely get you single coat coverage and brighten the color.

Brian's right, the basecoat will have a large effect on the final color. Silver base tends to "gray" the topcoat. White will brighten it, as will very light yellow. I was recently running out of Flaming Orange and shot a couple of panels to hiding with Fiery Orange, and 2 topcoats of Flaming Orange. There was a noticeable difference in the final color, and the Flaming Orange shot over white primer really popped and flashed, while the other was just a tad dark.

I should have defined what I mean by "full coverage" better. Professional painters often use "hiding cards" to determine how many coats it takes of a particular color to achieve full hiding. This is important in the body shop biz because it effects the blend procedure during paint-matching on adjacent panels. A "hiding card" is simply a black-and-white printed checkerboard on solvent-resistant cardstock. It takes 4 coats of the "one coat" Flaming Orange to be unable the distinguish the pattern through the paint, or to achieve "full hiding".

The problem I was having was that the fiery orange was so thin that by the time the panels were covered well so much paint was against the trim it made a darker outline around eveything. What I did was shoot a coat of regular testors orange and once that had dried for an hour or so I shot a coat of the fiery orange over it almost like clear coat, thick enough to get even flake coverage but thin enough not to run. If you want a neat effect try the same thing over bright red, you get an orange top coat but this red peeks out in the light.