Model Cars Magazine Forum

testors lacquer vs. tamiya spray paint

How good is the new testors lacquer? Do you need to prime coat before using? Can tamiya's primer be used? Do you have to gloss coat, or can you polish out the base after it cures? Thanks in advance, Steve Z.

Hi man all depends on what you wanna do I dont use tamiya primer but I use there paints.you can use all the laquers all the way across the board either way from what I personally have found out.someone out there may of had a reaction on some of the stuff but not me.I myself get the best reults painting outside at 25 degrees. sounds nuts I know but thats what does the best for me.the enclosed willys was painted with high flake silver testors base and tamiya laquer clear blue then cleared with testors laquer systems,car was lightly polished out afterwards It was painted at 25 to 30 degrees my nickname Is (slickpainter).enjoy

[100_1325-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I used the Testors lacquers on my 09 Challenger that is in progress, and I used the complete system of the white primer, color, and clear.

HPIM1515.jpg

I think it's been one of the best paint jobs I've done in years!

By the way, the color is their Hemi Orange.

Edited by highway

Mike, that's one fantastic '49 Merc. I have an online photo album I started a while ago, I've collected pix of dozens of Revell '49ers. I would love to add yours to the album, what do you think?

'49 Merc album

Sure no sweat......follow my photobucket link..look for Merc. cool.gif

BTW whats your name??....should be posted wink.gifunsure.gif

Edited by MikeMc