Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari F40

Toast

Started this Tamiya F40. It's being built along side another project so it won't go together very quickly but I wanted something to post to keep myself motivated.

Planning on building it mostly box stock although I have decided that I'm going to wire the ignition. It won't be very visible on the completed model but I want to display it with the engine cover up.

It looks like it should build up to a nice replica. I wish there was more detail to the under side of the engine cover however. They dont really include any of the baffles that distribute the air all those ducts bring in. Oh well.

20141001_145917.jpg

The engine itself is coming together nicely.

IMG_4898.jpg

Stripped some Cat5 wire that looks to be in scale, holds its shape well, and bends easily.

IMG_4935.jpg

The fun part will be that the two parts come together at a step which will make it interesting to match up the wires.

20141013_233612.jpg

Also getting the interior started. I am going to use carbon fiber decals to get the correct appearance of the floor and seats.

This is my attempt to replicate the gray carpet that is on the dash.

20141110_225156_HDR.jpg

Comments welcome, happy building!

Thanks.

I used a .026" bit too drill the holes. The wire fits right in without forcing it so well be easy to get in place when there's not much room and tweezers for leverage. A little dab of epoxy should be more than enough to keep them in place.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks!

Got a little done on the F40. The Vette is taking most of my attention but I did find time to try my hand at photo etched parts tonight.

I decided to start out pretty simple and try brake rotors.

After cutting them off I gave them a few spins with my finger tip against some fine sand paper. Looks pretty convincing.

The wheels are a very open five spoke design so these will be easily seen behind them!

20150109_212039_HDR.jpg