Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 GTO touring style [1/25] , , [Feb 14 update]

Can-Con

Been working on this for a couple months. Planned to have it done by now but I had a couple unplanned house repairs to keep me busy instead. LOL

MPC funnycar body, which is dead stock, AMT '70Chevelle chassis and a resin interior from Kevin @ Missing Link.

Paint is Ford "royal blue". Wheels are cobbled together from the parts box should measure out to about 19". The inners are Monogram GTO and the rims and tires are from a Monogram '90 ish Vette ZR-1.

Paint is cleared and polished out now and most of the trim is foiled but I haven't taken any pics sincethe last ones shown.

IMG_1671-vi.jpg

IMG_1694-vi.jpg

IMG_1689-vi.jpg

Edited by Can-Con

Thanks guys.

I just used the back of a #11 X-acto to cut the hood. I also dremmeled out the scoops and made the top of the cowl between the firewall and windshield from scratch. I'll take a pic of that when it's a bit further along.

Here's a couple more pics I just took.

IMG_1697-vi.jpg

IMG_1700-vi.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finished up the resin interior today. Just paint detail some foil and flocking.

It's painted with the same dark blue I used on the body. It's actually a pretty good match for the dark blue used in the 1/1 cars.

I cut the sides from the rest of the bucket to make it easier to detail. Also added a couple resin arm rests I had on hand.

IMG_1706-vi.jpg

IMG_1707-vi.jpg

I also added some simple wipers made from plastic strips to the scratch-made cowl area.

IMG_1708-vi.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here's another little update. The glass and interior is installed along with the firewall.

You can see in these pics how the scratchbuilt cowl area looks finished. I robbed the rad and fan shroud from a Monogram 1/24 GTO. Took a bit of trimming but I think it'll look good when finished. Also,, I'm really happy with how the windshield fit on this car. I don't usually seem to be able to get hem to fit this good. :D

IMG_1712-vi.jpg

IMG_1714-vi.jpg

I'm also robbing the engine from the Monogram kit. I was using one from an old kit I built when they first came out in the early '80s for mockup purposes. I liked how it looked so I'm building another one almost identical for this car. Maybe a bit better build quality than the one I did over 30 years ago though. :P

[30+ year old engine on the left, new one on the right.]

IMG_1715-vi.jpg