Model Cars Magazine Forum

Southern Motorsports Hobbies, Shipping Charge?

Well, just got my 63 Galaxy body from SMH, no complaints, nice body. Here is what burns , the postage paid mark is $8.55 and another few bucks for packaging and going to the post office. How in heavens sake does he justify charging me $30.00 dollars?????????? PLUS he told me that is what the rate to my location was.

Alan

Edited by Casey

I have been dealing with Ronnie at SHM for a long time,and he is one of the stand up guys in the hobby, he did not rip you off , do you not know that shipping to/from Canada is very expensive, it cost more to ship to/from Canada then it does shipping to/from US/ Japan(model kits) take a few minutes, go to google, and type in shipping cost to /from Canada, and you will maybe understand

Or Google Canada import/export fees, and again, you will see that its not cheap

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=canada+import%2Fexport+fees

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=why+is+canada+shipping+so+expensive

the postage paid mark is $8.55 and another few bucks for packaging and going to the post office.

do you not know that shipping to/from Canada is very expensive, it cost more to ship to/from Canada then it does shipping to/from US/ Japan(model kits) take a few minutes, go to google, and type in shipping cost to /from Canada, and you will maybe understand

The rate is marked with the postage mark right on the box it cost $8.55 from him to me here in Canada, that's it $8.55

So it sounds like he charged $21.45 in packing fees, I have never seen anyone complain about SMH, I guess there is a first time for everything

$30 is the USPS Priority International Mail rate, $8.xx is the USPS First Class International rate to/from those locations, so that's where the discrepancy lies.

I would call SMH and ask for a refund. It's possible who you spoke with and who mailed the package were different people and the latter didn't use Priority when s/he was supposed to. Hopefully a call or an e-mail gets you a partial refund, Alan.

Box size and choosing first class over priority make a difference. I have mailed items to Canada that was cheaper than mailing across the USA. I mail out a single kit for less than $3.00 going first class. I recently mailed out three bodies in a larger box and it cost me close to ten bucks first class.

This reminds me of the time I got a Photo Etch Fret off Model Car Garage and was charged $20 for international postage.

It arrived in a envelope with a $2 stamp on it.

That's why I stopped buying from Bob direct, over charges on postage. Won't buy from SMH for the same reason. When you spent 10k+ on the hobby importing stuff from the U.S. you quickly learn who's ripping you off & who's not.

Like I said, when I can SEE that I paid waaaaaaay too much after I was told another story, call it what you like but it burns me up. My first and last purchase from SMH ...... The word on stuff like this needs to get out there then customers can make an informed decision prior to making a purchase. Vendors that do this sort of thing just shoot themselves in the foot.

I've never purchased from them. Ordered some decals once, was quoted $20 shipping, no thanks! I have purchased from a great supplier on ebay who charges just a few dollars for shipping to NZ, Slixx are very reasonable too.

Jeff Ballard from Motor City Resin Casters has mentioned this in other topics, but it bear repeating here. The reasons a U.S. shipper uses the more expensive USPS Priority Mail International (PMI) instead of USPS First Class International (FCI) shipping are 1) the package and it's contents can be insured; 2) A shorter delivery time

Now that USPS includes Tracking on First Class International packages, finding out if the package arrived at its destination and having proof it did is not an issue like it once was, but no insurance is available when shipping via USPS FCI, so if the item is lost or damaged in transit, the shipper is out the entire cost of the item, the shipping cost, and s/he has to replace the item AND ship it a second time. With that in mind, it becomes clear why USPS PMI is the safer option with much less risk for the shipper, even though it is considerably more expensive for the buyer.

If the shipper charges for USPS PMI and ships the at the much cheaper USPS FCI rate, that's en entirely different scenario, and the one Alan is currently trying to get resolved.

I have had dozens of kit shipments from the US and not one has failed to arrive in good condition. I am quite happy to take on the risk without insurance, which is a high % of the price of a kit - it's just not worth it. I see little point in paying an extra $20 in insurance for a $10 kit. And yes, I'm a bean counter....... :rolleyes: