Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '32 Ford

Junkman

• 2 weeks later...

Well. Deep subject. S'been a while, but I'm still working on her.....

To get the stance I want with the AMT frame, it's going to have to be zeed. More like a new rear section of kickup actually. Marked the position of the axle centerline on the body, then drew in rails that would give me clearance over them for the axle tubes and spring ends.

DSCN7281.jpg

Made a pair of rail ends....

DSCN7292.jpg

....glued them on....

DSCN7300.jpg

..... and hogged out the center of the old blobular bit. I'm leaving the rear stuff in place for strength while I re-work the sides of the rails.

DSCN7311.jpg

Next trick is to widen the frame so it fits the body like it's s'posed to. It's WAY too narrow in order to clear the fender unit when it's used.

DSCN7302.jpg

The rails are supposed to look like this relative to the body.

DSCN7305.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you sir. The chassis is moving again...got the rest of the nasty stuff cut out of the rear and a new crossmember put in.

DSCN7392.jpg

Far as the front suspension goes, in the spirit of making something nice from a sow's ear, and keeping with early AMT parts, I've decided to modify the dropped axle from an AMT '40 Ford for more detail and pose-able steering.

The stock blobular end is on the right. On the left are the mods in progress, with the axle beam thinned, the old backing plate removed, the steel axle-hole filled, and a new axle-end that will be drilled for a kingpin.

DSCN9300.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fellas, I just came across this community build & have always liked the old AMT 32's.

I have several of the 3 windows & recently got an old built-up Vicky that I plan to rebuild.

The paint on the vicky is actually pretty decent so i was going to leave it ,but the rest of it is rough.

You guys mind if I join in the build with the Vicky?

Joe

Hi Fellas, I just came across this community build & have always liked the old AMT 32's.

I have several of the 3 windows & recently got an old built-up Vicky that I plan to rebuild.

The paint on the vicky is actually pretty decent so i was going to leave it ,but the rest of it is rough.

You guys mind if I join in the build with the Vicky?

Joe

Please do!!! Welcome!!!

Far as the front suspension goes, in the spirit of making something nice from a sow's ear, and keeping with early AMT parts, I've decided to modify the dropped axle from an AMT '40 Ford for more detail and pose-able steering.

Thanks, Ace Garage Guy for the tips on the front axel. I tried to use part of your idea useing the '40 Ford axel. I'm not sure it lowered the front end much. Yours is pretty extreme, and I love it!!! Wish I had your kind of skills. Here's a shot of mine. Also starting a Phaeton.DSC04017.jpgDSC04019-1.jpgDSC04016.jpg

Please do!!! Welcome!!!

Thanks,

Builds are looking good fellas.

Not much of a start,but i did manage to round up a few parts that might go into the build& was thinking of maybe a 352 for power.

will get better pics as i actually get some work done.

The Vicky as I got it...

000_0002_00-1.jpg

Some bits & pieces...

000_0003_00-1.jpg

May go with this look...undecided

000_0004_00-1.jpg

BTW found this in a box of of junk i bought.....Any idea if it was an issued kit or mebbe just something that was bashed together? AMT, Revell,MPC? no markings on any of the parts.

000_0006_00.jpg

000_0005_00.jpg

Great stuff so far, pplz.

I finally started my first contribution, which I fear is rather subtle in comparison to your gentlemen's efforts.

What I have in mind is a very traditional Roadster. Smooth is the overall theme. I don't want to see hinges, door handles, etc. I want it gold metallic, white interior, and big'n'littles on Babymoons from the '51 Chevy. Stance is everything...

And since tis particular Roadster kit came with a not fully moulded windscreen frame, I'll use the surplus chopped windscreen frame from one of my Phaeton kits.

So here we go.

Cut out the rear wheel wells since 'out of the box' it just doesn't allow for anything wider than the skinny stock wheels, without protruding from the wings.

pic001.jpg

This is the stance I want to achieve. -ish:

pic002.jpg

For me, it's all the subtle changes that add up to a wholesome something.

Rootliebed the bonnet:

pic003.jpg

The headlamps sit too high for my taste, so I had to fill in the openings for the headlamp bar. I'll drill new ones below the original ones.

pic004.jpg

I did away with the front cross bar at the same time.

Trying to rework the rear dumb irons and petrol tank:

pic005.jpg

Edited by Junkman

• 2 weeks later...