Model Cars Magazine Forum

garbage truck

Back in 1977 or 1978 AMT "nearly" introduced a garbage truck, based on the Ford C600 kit (long frame version).

The kit was pretty advance in developement, boxart was already drawned up: yellow cab/silver gray refuse unit (with Bicentenial 1976 Michigan plates), kit would have been call a Ford C600 Refuse truck with a Load Packer/ Garwood refuse unit mounted on the C600 frame.

From what I read the mold was heavily dammage... the project was thrown in ...Garbage :)

Look in the archives of Truckmodeler.com, there is a blue International Paystar built by Frank Rich with a garbage body. The archives are slowly being updated, but there have been a few garbage trucks there. A ford C600, A Ford LN 8000, along with one or two others. Funny I should stumble on this thread now. I'm going to Brooklyn, NY to pick up an old garbage truck as my next load. NY Department of Sanitation. Anyhoo, I'll snap some pix of it.

Ive seriously considered doing such a truck myself ! Problem is I keep getting involved in doing the service station dioramas I do . They generally take a year to do as my time to do a decent job on a model is sometimes limited . Vintage Truck Magazine has in the past featured a couple of Vintage sanitation trucks in the past . I wish I were more help . Ed Shaver

AMT had plans to offer a garbage truck, but a UAW strike and the oil crisis of the mid 1970s put an end to that.

o6w6qb.jpg

zugoeq.jpg

An extremely talented member of the MTDG made this fantastic trash truck. I don’t remember who it was, but if you visit that site he is their.

n5g0wk.jpg

Paul Kittle made that Waste Management truck several years ago. I tried to buy it from him but couldn't afford it! lol

Tom Ellifrit is a member here and he built a super nice C series Ford garbage truck very similiar to what AMT was going to produce.

There are pictures of it here in the model trucks section. He posted them a few months ago.

His name on here is repstock (I am pretty sure that's what it is)

Heading to NYC? I don't envy you, Ray. NYC is tough to drive in with a car let alone a tractor/trailer. Isn't the NYC Sanitation Department up in The Bronx?

They have a handful of garages in the Bronx, but they have a salt yard in Brooklyn by the East River and that's where these old trucks are. I thought I would be going to an old pier on Manhattan's West side north of the USS Intrepid musuem where many of their retired trucks are kept. Thankfully I won't be. No need to go through Manhattan. At least, not this time. I was told it was a Mack. It's going to Bay St' Louis, MS. I remember watching their white Macks out of my window as a kid b4 I left the city @ age 10. Kind of neat 4 memory's sake.

As to the driving, I don't mind. I just hate doing it without the aid of sliding tandems. On my RGN, the wheels are all the way at the tail end, and cannot be slid forward. My 5th wheel is as far forward as it goes. However, I don't have too many turns to make according to what I saw on the map. It just means I have to make my turns extra wide. I always did anyway :lol:

Tom Ellifrit is a member here and he built a super nice C series Ford garbage truck very similiar to what AMT was going to produce.

There are pictures of it here in the model trucks section. He posted them a few months ago.

His name on here is repstock (I am pretty sure that's what it is)

Ok, I remember that build.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.p...mp;#entry209190

Hi there,

that´s a nice idea with the Garbage truck....I thought about that a few times but didn´t find good base material....If there´s someone to get some dimensions or maybe a bluprint etc I could try to make a kit for that kind of truck....

Regards,Chris

Back in 1977 or 1978 AMT "nearly" introduced a garbage truck, based on the Ford C600 kit (long frame version).

The kit was pretty advance in developement, boxart was already drawned up: yellow cab/silver gray refuse unit (with Bicentenial 1976 Michigan plates), kit would have been call a Ford C600 Refuse truck with a Load Packer/ Garwood refuse unit mounted on the C600 frame.

From what I read the mold was heavily dammage... the project was thrown in ...Garbage :)

To show how far AMT was in to the Garwood project, check out the box.

00FordC600refusetruckAMT125box-vi.jpg

I think part of the mold's fate was hot temps. in the building where it was kept. During the strike, the clay model was left unattended and melted partially. At least, that's part of how I heard it. I had an article regarding this somewhere. I'll post when I find it.

Here is a pic of the 2001 Mack garbage truck I hauled from Brooklyn, NY to Bay St Louis, Miss. I took lots of pix as promised. The compactor body is made by Heil. As soon as I get all the pix in the album, I'll post a link. In the pic, it's on my trailer. It just barely fit, too.

100_0958.jpg