Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1937 Ford Pickup

Dennis Lacy

Got my Revell ‘37 Pickup just about wrapped up and I’m very happy with the results. It has the “look†I had pictured in my noggin throughout the build process. I wanted this build to represent a clean, yet serviceable hot rod shop truck. Something that could showcase a shops workmanship without being too nice to actually drive and run local errands in.

Using a large amount of the provided parts in the ‘37 PU kit, I replaced the front suspension with the dropped axle and split wishbones from the rod version of Revell’s ‘40 Coupe and the 2-speed Columbia rear axle from the stock version of the ‘40 Coupe kit. By doing so and flattening the front and rear springs resulted in a nice raked, front wheels tucked stance but kept it out of the weeds. The stock ‘37 wheels were used but modified to fit into the whitewall big & little tires from Revell’s ‘31 Sedan / ‘29 Pickup.

The Flathead engine block, front cover/water pumps, starter, exhaust manifolds, stock single exhaust and water hoses come from the ‘37 Pickup while the Edelbrock heads, Edelbrock triple intake, carburetors, air filters, pulleys/drive belt and generator come from Revell’s ‘32 Sedan. Since the original fan and shroud couldn’t be used with the offset mounted generator I attached an electric fan to the stock radiator from one of Revell’s ‘32 kits.

I de-chromed the grill, headlights and side mirror and painted them for more of a commercial look. I also sanded down the headlight mounts to get the lights tucked down closer to the fenders for less of a bug-eye look. The windshield frame (which is molded with the windshield) was covered in Bare Metal Foil. Bumpers front and rear were ditched for a sleeker look. The stock rear lights were replaced with fender-mounted ‘39 “tear drop†lights and the license plate is mounted under the bed to get things un-cluttered. I had planned to run the hood top only and painted it but found that the front edge of it will need to be trimmed to fit so when I get a chance I’ll address that.

The interior was assembled kit-stock with the exception of the Revell ‘40 Ford steering wheel.

Paint is Tamiya Semi-Gloss Black, Tamiya Light Blue and Model Master Flat Gull Gray.

So there it is, another one for the display case!

IMG_2924.jpg

IMG_2908.jpg

IMG_2909.jpg

IMG_2913.jpg

IMG_2920.jpg

IMG_2916.jpg

IMG_2917.jpg

IMG_2911.jpg

IMG_2912.jpg

IMG_2915.jpg

Thanks for the nice comments guys! This build was a lot of fun.

Ken:

I did paint the hood top (molded on sides were cut off) but it came up about 1/16" too long. I need to trim as much off the front edge and touch up the paint then it will have a hood. I agree that it should have one.

While I am not a fan of the flat-black/satin black Rods, this one is well done. It's nice enough for me to comment, so it must be nice! :D The blue looks great and it's just a really nice looking truck. It reminds me of one in a neighborhood near my parents' house in the 1990s, except that one was red/black. Makes me want to dig out the kits and start building again... Sweet truck man.