Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1970 Dodge Coronet Super Bee

Thanks Brett, I was literally about to ask whether or not a MPC re-re-re-re-release(or mold, rather) would finally be edited to have some freakin' clear headlights but I see that's a nope. That being said though, looks exactly the same as previous releases just with a very nice updated decal sheet and pad printed tires.

A shame they didn't update the grille with headlamp buckets and clear lenses, as they did with the Amt '60 Ranchero, when Round-2 tooled up an whole new grille for what is essentially a crude simplified kit.

That said, it's doable to cut the lamps out of the grille and insert clear ones with the bucket, already converted mine mine with an update set that came from Japan, can't think of the name right, now...but it sounded Italian

If I remember correctly you have to take a bit out of the windshield at the bottom of the vent windows because the MPC interior tub has a bump on each side where the ends of the dash rest, you can also round off the ends of the dash so you don't have to take so much out of the glass.

To my recollection this was not an annual kit.  The 70 Super Bee body was part of a funny car kit.  In the 90s AMT combined the funny car body with the bones of the 68-69 Road Runner/GTX kit.

I remember taking a 70 Coronet funny car body (it was molded in dark blue) and combining it with the chassis, interior etc from an MPC Charger back in 1970-71 or so. 

mpc-1970-dodge-coronet-scat-city_1_c58b4

Edited by sfhess

If I remember correctly you have to take a bit out of the windshield at the bottom of the vent windows because the MPC interior tub has a bump on each side where the ends of the dash rest, you can also round off the ends of the dash so you don't have to take so much out of the glass.

..........thanks, Brian....sounds painless enough...........the Ace....:lol:

Yeah, there is a blurb and drawing in the instructions on cutting the windshield.  

Thanks for the responses, we're going to be starting a video unboxing series and this was our test subject.  I'll try to post the result once we get it all edited if it's not too horrible. :wacko:  I didn't know I'd be doing a video when I came into work this morning! It's tough!    We'll probably re-do it once we get the editing and uploading process figured out and I want to have my kit history a little more nailed down.  

Edited by Brett Barrow

Yeah, there is a blurb in the instructions on cutting the windshield.  

Thanks for the responses, we're going to be starting a video unboxing series and this was our test subject.  I'll try to post the result once we get it all edited if it's not too horrible. :wacko:  I didn't know I'd be doing a video when I came into work this morning! It's tough!  

well, I think all of us appreciate the effort to photo and review  a kit here for all to see....thanks, Brett.....the Ace...:D

To my recollection this was not an annual kit.  The 70 Super Bee body was part of a funny car kit.  In the 90s AMT combined the funny car body with the bones of the 68-69 Road Runner/GTX kit.

I remember taking a 70 Coronet funny car body (it was molded in dark blue) and combining it with the chassis, interior etc from an MPC Charger back in 1970-71 or so. 

mpc-1970-dodge-coronet-scat-city_1_c58b4

There was in fact a stock issue annual kit back then ( ive got one buried away I think )

Image result for mpc 1970 superbee

The Scat City issue was basically a promo body over one of the then issue funny car chassis's . Problem was, there was never a 1970 Coronet promo of any kind

Edited by gtx6970

There was in fact a stock issue annual kit back then ( ive got one buried away I think )

Image result for mpc 1970 superbee

The Scat City issue was basically a promo body over one of the then issue funny car chassis's . Problem was, there was never a 1970 Coronet promo of any kind

In all but a handful of cases back then, one basic body tool was used to produce all of the variations (promo model bodies, kit bodies, and funny car bodies) of each car.  They'd have individual sections that would be swapped into the tool to produce a convertible as opposed to a hardtop, or a closed-hood promo model as opposed to a separate-hood kit.  Body tooling is more expensive than that used for other parts of the kit, so every effort was made to use the body tooling as often as possible.  That's why there were '68-'70 Coronet (and '70-'71 Cyclone) funny car kits when nobody ever ran those bodies on 1:1 cars, also why the funny car kit bodies usually had windshield wipers, door handles, and other stock trim.  Back then, MPC had a habit of dropping various kit/promo bodies onto one of several funny car chassis they had.  As time went on, the chassis sometimes got shortened (or had redundant mounting points added) to change the wheelbase to fit another body that didn't exist when that chassis was first used.

I still have most of my original Annual 70--Wish I had the hood though!!

Was the grill also re-tooled??

My original has the ring (step-in) shown on the Annual box art above

But the First re-issue does not have that detail

I can understand the Retro-Deluxe re-issue with a Modified Original box art

But Why use the 69 annual box art design on this re-issue???

Would I get another?

Yes if I can afford one I would!!

I do wish the Police parts were returned to the kit though!!!

YES, that was how my original was built!!

I wouldn't mind having an original metal axle version. Ive got all 4 of the 68-69 Coronet variations  here now. So I might as well look for a clean builder 70 annual .  Ive got several of the repops from years ago. So I have no interest in another one of them ,,no matter how neat the box is

I screwed up at a swap meet a few weeks back ,, a guy had an original issue builtup for $15 and I left it there.

Oddly enough I regretted it as soon as I got on the freeway ( almost turned around and went back ,,,if the wife wasnt with me I would have )

No it didn't, as I was lookin' at two '70 Coronet's when I was hunting for my present ride and never saw any red in the grilles.

Nick, I deleted my post  probably as you posted, as I also checked on this a moment ago, and was thinking of another vehicle. my mistake....the Ace....:huh:.......a 1970 Dodge ad shows a 70 R/T Coronet  in green with the red in the grill.....guess it never went into production, but knew I'd seen it somewhere...

Edited by AC Norton
text

The Round2 version  blue car on box top shows red in the grill ,is that an option on the real cars R/T or 500 coronet or something Round2 cooked up?

No, that was a pre-production thing that never materialized in the 1/1 . All 1970 Coronet grilles are the same , a light non textured argent silver with black accents in the vertical grills

No, that was a pre-production thing that never materialized in the 1/1 . All 1970 Coronet grilles are the same , a light non textured argent silver with black accents in the vertical grills

OK that makes scene ,Thx Bill for clearing that up !