Model Cars Magazine Forum

My 1/64 Nascar Models

Billy Kingsley

As has been well documented, 1/64 NASCAR is my #1 hobby, with 1/24 plastic models a distant second :D (Now a days I pretty much have only three hobbies I keep up)-the third is DC Comics, BTW.

But...there are plenty of cars that are not made, for whatever reason, be it because they are so obscure that nobody but me and a few others would want them or so-called "Hard Licquer" which the governement does not allow to be made, or from a time before diecast was traditinally made-the 1950s, most of the 60s and about 95% of the seventys have not been touched. The majority of cars pre-86 aren't even available! That just wouldn't do...so there are a few of us who take matters into our own hands, and make cars that need to be made.

I learned it was possible in 2005 to make cars that weren't available, and have spent a lot of time building cars that were not available. There's a next chapter I am working on, which I will detail after some pictures...

Just like my 1/24 modeling, my skills have improved over time. Not to toot my own horn, but those of us who do this on a regular basis all say that I am the best out there... :P I don't know about that, but I have been trying to do better...no more eyeball masking or letting things slide that I used to.

I tend to work in batches and these group shots are the result of those batches. I've done more then 100 cars now and not all appear in group shots.

2006July9th039-vi.jpg

2006November21035-vi.jpg

2007March29th039-vi.jpg

Note: The Petty Superbirds are not my own creations. I had them there because I needed to check and see which version I had.

2007May23rd003-vi.jpg

The 1980 Janet Gutrie car is a 1 of 1. I have the only set of those decals in 1/64 in existance, that I know of!

July2007081-vi.jpg

July2007140-vi.jpg

2007OctoberPart2248-vi.jpg

2007November064-vi.jpg

December2007068-vi.jpg

Now, the next chapter I mentioned above....There are many bodies currently available to build various NASCAR race cars from the 1950s to today...But there are also a lot of bodies that are not available, in NASCAR form or otherwise.

I am working on fixing that...I have a 1987 Buick nearly done, and I have plans for some others. I have some things in the works that could be bringing about several new body styles, or preparing a street car into NASCAR use. (To that regard, I have a 1974 Torino nearly ready and a 1970 Monte Carlo is in the que for right after that.

After I finish the bodies, I will be having them cast in resin, so I can get as many as I need. I doubt they will be offered for sale, but a few people may recieve them as gifts. People who've gone above and beyond to help me especially will be on the recieveing end here! :D

Here is the work I have done on the Buick so far. I just found out there is a VASTLY better 86 to work off of, which I am getting in the mail sometime soon, so this project may be dead.

2008January50-vi.jpg

Also, I will not buy from 1/24 home decal makers who do not produce decals in my scale. Obviously, screen printed decals can't be done in 1/64 as there are not enough people to buy them (realisticly, I know there are not 300 people, and I can't think of a single car I would build 300 of! LOL!)

It should be noted, that I do NOT sell my work. If someone helps me to get a rare car I've been after for a long time, (I've been collecting for more then 15 years-and I'm only 23!) I will make a car (or more then one, depending) as a thank you.

Thanks Jamie...I've been doing this for 16 years, and I've got more then 4400 different ones :lol: That's the largest collection I know if in NY, but not all of them are in good condition, as a bunch were bought second hand...

Thanks again!

When I finish new batches, I'm going to keep adding them to this thread instead of starting new threads for something that's not too popular around here...I'll have another update soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Dirk, I've been collecting Hot Wheels since 1985 at least! ( I was born in 84!). In fact I just spent a week and a half in January sorting my entire collection for the first time ever. I pretty much stopped in 2000 however, to focus solely on NASCAR, and that's also when I started building Models big time. Now I wish I didn't stop though!

James, good choice...I just got those decals recently myself...They can't build an accurate 1989 car, they don't have the DurAlt and some of the smaller stuff...Fred Cady's decals has the DurAlt though, (which I have a set of) and eventually I'll build both versions....