Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bulk Paint Source

Richard,

Not likely that you will find a "carton price" on model paints, as if one thinks about it, why would Tamiya etc. cut their own throats by undercutting the retailers who sell the vast bulk of their products to modelers? The quick answer is (from 30 some years in the retail hobby business 1962-1992) that no, they likely won't. On the other hand, however, I have ordered model paints directly from the importer, in my case Humbrol, and was amazed at the fast service and reasonable shipping cost--important to me as the closest hobby shop to me that sells Humbrol is 65 miles away, in Indianapolis. Even considering the shipping charge from Humbrol-Hornby, I could not have driven to Indy for that paint for anything near the cost, not as $3 plus for a gallon of gasoline.

So, if you need to get Tamiya paints in quantity, give Tamiya America a shout, or for that matter, any of the other distributors of their paints. Another source I might suggest would be Tower Hobbies, as they are the online/mail order/phone order side of Great Planes Distributors in Champaign IL, one of the major wholesale distributors (to retail hobby shops only though under that name). You can also drop me a PM and I can give you some names of retail hobby shops in the Midwest who might be able to help you out as well.

Art