Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jeep SCRAMBLER ! thank you Hot Wheels!

so there I was playing hot wheels with my Daughter ( we went to storage and got the box of "cars") to play with I was sorting things out havn't seen these things in some time and there it was I saw the Jeep and the lightbulb went off in my head, someone had done a similar build with the newer revel jeep, but I have 3 older CJ jeeps I quickly got them out dumped out the baggie of jeep parts held up the body to the scrambler hot wheel, smiled and said to myself (Eureka!) i'm going to extend the back half of one of these here body and frame assemblys and chop a spare top down and build me a scrambler! ( a j-10 jeep pickup and a jeep cj mixed??) that's sorta what it looks like hence the name I suppose "scrambler" is it even a real jeep?

even if its not i'm going to make one not going to make perfect measurements or anything just going to eyeball things and make myself happy with it. ( That is the fun of this hobby) doing what you want with what you have!

wish me luck on this custom one.....

101_6329_zps863e1e7b.jpg

101_6328_zps0910cfb7.jpg

101_6327_zps2f291c57.jpg

pretty excited about this one!

There's a resin kit of the Scramber already available. My good friend Jeff Salem did the master for it. I can't remember exactly who casts it. I think Jeff Ballard at Motor City Resins? Hopefully, Jeff will probably chime in at some time and confirm or correct the info.

thank you for pointing that out my fellow Minnesotan! Jordan until you said it I didn't take note of the squared rear flares.... guess I can carefully remove the front flares off the donor body and use them over the rear openings......

will be a start anyways! man i'm jazzed about this jeep guess I will have to make a custom crawler out of whats left of the other body since it will be shorter a war jeep/ CJ 5 ?

There's a resin kit of the Scramber already available. My good friend Jeff Salem did the master for it. I can't remember exactly who casts it. I think Jeff Ballard at Motor City Resins? Hopefully, Jeff will probably chime in at some time and confirm or correct the info.

Jeff is re-working the master, he was not happy with some aspects of it. I have bugged him about it but life has been busy for him lately. Hopefully he will get some time here soon to fix it and get it off to the caster!

You must have a dozen projects going at once! This looks like a cool build. I wish I could work on mine at this pace and still remain sane. The Scrambler Idea is great I'm just disappointed in myself for never thinking of it.

Edited by Evilbenny

like I said "thank you hotwheels! " never would have thought of it either had I not got the "cars" out of storage for my 2 yr old daughter to play with

yeah I probly have like a hundred projects all at once... well maybe not that many but yeah ALOT! I plan on building ALL my stash and be left with nothing but a empty box collection lol

I've always thought the Scrambler was cool and thought I'd like to get one in 1:1. The problem is that they've held their value well!

Never thought much about them until A black one pulled in to my parents house one day. My brothers friend had one tricked out. Man that was all it took for me to like them.

Just as Tom has said a good clean one up here is a bit pricey.

moving along although photobucket is not cooperating........

trying to upload current build status

i'm starting to notice especially from the photo I may not have extended out my rear quite enuff but i'm going to keep rolling with it and see how it comes out if not very good looking I will cut out another section of the other jeep body to lengthen things more..... I have the top pretty much done except sanding of putty, and the center bulkhead behind the seats, and the rear window marked off but not cut out yet.....

• 2 months later...

hey i'm back in business got photobucket working again thanks to a computer guru friend back homes suggestion of downloading firefox for a webbrowser!

no problems with photos now enjoy the updates on the scrambler

101_6348_zpsb25c3f3d.jpg

101_6346_zpsf040a7a3.jpg

101_6345_zpsed75acea.jpg

101_6347_zpsd181c12b.jpg

these are old update pics i've got some primer on her now will try and get shots of that

yeah i've noticed that myself its almost as though i didn't quite stretch the "bed" out quite enough i just had the one spare body to work with so i'm going to run with it as is for now maybe i will rename it "mini" scrambler
still going to be pretty cool nonetheless I'm not too much a "perfectionist" i just build stuff to suit me and anyone else that like what i've got going on :)

B)

101_6659_zps0a25915b.jpg

ford 302 for the machup! as stated in above post this may be a "shortened by owner" wheelbase

scrambler with intentions of rugged trailriding! may leave ford 302 as the powerplant??

101_6660_zpsf84db076.jpg

101_6658_zps5f2a9b52.jpg

in primer still need lots of touchup sanding and more primer i don't know how i will blend in the seam of the bed where i joind the cut bodies together??

going to make a post about these offroad wheels/tires!