Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 FORD - MODELHAUS RESIN KIT - FINISHED

Ramfins59

OK kids... I finally got this little beauty finished up. My goal was to customize this car as if someone back in '59 would have thrown a J.C. Whitney catalog at the car to see what would stick..... all Bolt-On Customizing.

Are you ready for the big reveal......??????

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

WAIT FOR IT

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

BUS DRIVER . . . . . . . . . . MOVE . . . . . .

BUSDRIVERMOVE_zps6d96644c.jpg

THAT

THAT_zps77cd5ea3.jpg

BUS

BUS_zpscffef7c5.jpg

OK...... Sorry about that sick little try at humor here...... Here are pictures of this finished little Blue Angel.

FINISHEDFRONT_zpsa10d62d3.jpg

FINISHEDFRONT2_zpsb0409206.jpg

FINISHEDDRIVERSIDE_zps3db1ff51.jpg

FINISHEDPASSENGERSIDE_zps0d1d3338.jpg

FINISHEDREAR1024x750_zps0c07f334.jpg

FINISHEDREAR21024x734_zps43e5ef7f.jpg

I am really happy with the way this model turned out. It's not perfect as I doubt if I'll EVER make a perfect model, but I just love it. Getting the interior assembly to fit at final assembly gave me some troubles after I installed the vacuuformed glass. A hint to anyone building a resin kit with this type of glass...... make sure that you trim the glass as close to the window frame on the cowl as possible. Cut and fit, cut and fit as often as you have to, to prevent the dashboard from not seating properly against the cowl and vent windows. When you have the glass trimmed as perfectly as possible, first tack glue it in place in a couple of spots with tiny drops of some non-fogging CA glue. When you have it in, recheck the fit of the interior assembly. If all is good, then continue with gluing in the glass with the non-fogging CA glue, let that dry and then install the interior assembly. The Elmer's glue I originally used to glue in the glass dried too thick for the dashboard to seat properly against the cowl.

Aside from the issues with the interior, my model also now has a rear window defogger knob on the dashboard (thanks to Jairus...!!!) Since when does a convertible need a rear window defogger...?!?!?!?

Oh well. Thanks for looking in on this everyone. It was a blast building this. Bring on those 50's chrome-laden land yachts...!!!

Edited by Ramfins59

What a beauty ! Those little details like the snaps on the boot really make a model stand out .

Your advice about the windshield is absolutely correct , that's the only way to get everything to fit properly .

I can't wait to build one of these myself .

Great job !

I loved your reveal, it honestly made me laugh, thanks for the humor. This car rocks! I don't see any scratches on it yet from my bicycle leaning on it while I was drooling over it. Yeah this one really does take me back to 1959 when I was just learning about J C Whitney and drooling on it. Love all the custom touches and the curb feelers are just right for the times. Man I would love to go for a ride. What a beauty!!!! :wub:

Thank you very much to everyone for your kind comments. I really appreciate all the encouraging words as they help me to continue to take my time, not rush it, and do things right and in the proper sequence to get a good clean build.

Beautiful car Rich. Really nice foil work. How did you make the chrome covers on the headlights? thats a very nice touch...

Carl thanks for your comments. The photo-etched metal headlight half-moon covers are from Detail Master. They make a fret of them with smaller covers for dual headlight cars (like my '58) and slightly larger covers for the single headlight cars.