Model Cars Magazine Forum

Real or Model #173 FINISHED!

Real or model?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Real or model?

(I swear I did this days after I voted)

I got the great idea on Wednesday that owing to the super-low production/incredibly detailed chassis # info, it'd be easy to find the car. It's Chassis #1065, I think.

Mark - I don't think so. The original 1065 is for sale on this page. http://www.maxted-page.com/cars/default.aspx?mode=archive There are a number of differances between this car and the car in the photo. Most notable is the polished Halibrands, the light surrounds, and I really can't see a jacking bar in the front air intake. In digging through the GT40 web site, I came accross this replica which looks a lot like what we have here. It is an RCR Replica. http://www.gt40s.com/gallery/index.php?u=16021 Not a kit car but certianly not one of the originals. What say you Harry? Do we have some info that would clear this up?

(I swear I did this days after I voted)

I got the great idea on Wednesday that owing to the super-low production/incredibly detailed chassis # info, it'd be easy to find the car. It's Chassis #1065, I think.

yessir it is

1966 Ford GT40 Mk I ; S/N GT40P/1065; Engine # SGT/27; Ice Blue/Black leather; Recent restoration, 2+ condition; Hammered Sold at $1,500,000 plus commission of 10.00%; Final Price $1,650,000 – RHD. Webers, 5-spoke alloy centerlock wheels, Goodyear Blue Streak tires, 6.00-15 front, 7.00-15 rear, four Weber intake. Excellent paint and interior. Freshly restored and better looking than new. It's sacrilegious, but this car has been customized several times in its early history to suit various owners' preferences. Its current livery dates from an unknown restoration but thoughtfully returned it to something close to its original configuration and better than new condition. The 3,183 miles on the odometer may well be real, which is also sacrilegious. It deserves to be driven, if only a little. At this price it can be and is a sound value. – Lot # 054, Gooding & Company, Pebble Beach

http://www.sportscar...monterey-money/

66_Ford-GT40-MK1-DV-10-GCP_01.jpg

803948.jpg

Edited by MIKE THE MANIAC

Same source, different page...? customized ?

http://www.sportscardigest.com/monterey-auction-report-2010-massive-monterey-money/

1966 Ford GT40 Mk I ; S/N GT40P/1065; Engine # SGT/27; Ice Blue/Black leather; Recent restoration, 2+ condition; Hammered Sold at $1,500,000 plus commission of 10.00%; Final Price $1,650,000 – RHD. Webers, 5-spoke alloy centerlock wheels, Goodyear Blue Streak tires, 6.00-15 front, 7.00-15 rear, four Weber intake. Excellent paint and interior. Freshly restored and better looking than new. It's sacrilegious, but this car has been customized several times in its early history to suit various owners' preferences. Its current livery dates from an unknown restoration but thoughtfully returned it to something close to its original configuration and better than new condition. The 3,183 miles on the odometer may well be real, which is also sacrilegious. It deserves to be driven, if only a little. At this price it can be and is a sound value. – Lot # 054, Gooding & Company, Pebble Beach

Oh, this car so annoys me! found this documentation:

Sold for $1,997,565 at 2007 RM Auctions.

Sold for $1,465,000 at 2008 RM Auctions.

Sold for $1,650,000 at 2010 Gooding & Company.

The Ford GT40 was a high performance sports car and winner of the 24 Hours of Le Mans four times in a row, from 1966 to 1969. It was built to win long-distance sports car races against Ferrari, winner at LeMans six times in a row from 1960 to 1965.

GT40 chassis number 1065 has a well-documented history with a continuous chain of ownership. When Christies inspected the car in 1998 it still only showed 2,540 miles. T40 s/n 1065 has been re-liveried twice over the years but is now back to its original color of Azure blue with the complementary original black upholstery. Built to nearly the same specifications as the racing version, this example is nonetheless fitted with a fully trimmed interior, which is original and in superb condition. The car has its original engine (number SGT 27) and ZF gearbox.

So this was one of the road cars, aka homelgation specials, not a race car. That explaines a lot. Customized for the owner? I guess I can understand this. I got to sit in one of Holman Moodys continuation cars(see avitar) and it was not an easy fit, but there are not a lot of the original cars left so it should be restored to as close to original configuration as possible and taken out the historic events and be seen. Anyone who can spend a couple of million should look after it. Just the ravings of a car guy who will never get to own such a piece.