Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tryin out New stuff : embossing powder

bryan_m

I have tried embossing powder over a similar color flat paint and it looks good. I didn't get the fiber-all-over-the-completed-model results like I do with flock, which seems to shed forever and gets everywhere. IIRC, the other magazine ran an article about using embossing powder with good results within the past year or two.

I use embossing powder all the time. I use a white or creme color that is easy to find. Once it's applied and set I paint over it with the color of my choice. I've been using white glue with good results but Im definitely going to try the spray adhesive on my current project.

I was at Michael's last week looking for embossing powder and was very dissapointed at the color selection. Almost all of them that I could find were more like glitter.

That was the issue which prevented me from getting any, too. The colors were all too metallic looking, and the texture too coarse. The only color which looked realistic was the black, which wasn't called black specifically, but "carbon gray" or similar?

I was at Michael's last week looking for embossing powder and was very dissapointed at the color selection.

Maybe your Michaels store has a bad selection....I snagged 3 or 4 different colors when I went looking.

I've only used it once so far, but I can see it replacing flocking for good - I really like the 'no shedding' part. I used flat black spray enamel to secure my black embossing powder, and I'm quite pleased with the results

I just used the Michaels powder for the first time and it looks very scale for 1/16 and 1/12. I used a mix of Carpenters yellow glue and 25% water, brushed on. It's hard to mask some interior areas so brushing was better for me. Waited until it turned opaque and applied powder. After an hour, I did a second coat and application.

Very flat, secure to the surface and neat on the edges. I'll try painting over in different colors on spoons.

I like it but I never used 'real' flock.

that looks nice chris

someone mentioned it here, and i tried it............hit this stuff with a hair drier! it definetely locks it all in place. i added a second coat of it, and hit it with some heat and man does it look even better now!

thanks guys

bryan

Guys you can also look for the powders at rubber stamp stores or scrapbooking stores. The rubber stamp stores are the ones that sell all te card stock and the inks and stuff. A friend of mine used to own a store and she carried all kinds. They may even sell the proper heat gun if you want to really emboss things.

When using embossing powder, after it is applied, and dried, I go over it and coat the powder with clear flat or semi gloss acrylic clear. It will not change the appearance whatsoever, but greatly enhances it'd durability factor, and insures that none will 'float' around your interior, after you have finished assembly...Embossing powder, while much less apt to become dislodged (like flocking)...on occasion, it WILL....'Z'