Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rat Rod and Spare parts build!

'08SEAL

Thanks, guys! I love builds like this that let my imagination run rampant. It might wind up with a proper 300 chassis under it one of these days after the parts box build is completed if the body turns out as well as I'm hoping. On the other hand, if it were an actual Chrysler concept car, it could well have any corporate running gear under it just to make it mobile.

Note to Corvair Jim: Keep it up with the Chrysler Ute; I may try one later..it really looks great so far.

I just completed my "Little Old Lady From Pasadena" '64 Dodge 330 for the "Cars of Rock 'n' Roll & Country Music" CBP (You can see that model in both that CBP's thread and "Under Glass"), so the Chrysler Ute and the 1960 Plymouth wagon for the "Cannonball" CBP that the rest of the parts from the ute's kits went toward are the next two on my bench - simultaneously!

I want to check if it would be accepted there as well. If not, I'll have to see if they'll take another conversion that I started several years ago and sort of stalled out on, a '68 Corvair-Camino. The body is nearly completed. It's in color, but it still needs polishing and foiling, and I still have to make a rear window for it. It'll need some reworking to the chassis to get the rear wheelhouses to fit right, and I'll need to adapt earlier-style Corvair air cleaners to the engine. Yes, it's full-detail, with a hinged engine cover in the back of the bed. On the other hand, if the guy running the pickup CBP will accept theChrysler in his build as well as letting it continue in this one which it was committed for first, I may do both builds in that one!

Sorry guys, I have been out of the hobby for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time. I hope no one is mad. I just got bored. So now I have started with my build and I will get back to checking the forum regularly and update everything on this build. Thanks for keeping this going. Here is what I have so far, my ride is going to be a rat rod. Here it is.

I introduce, The Chop, From Hell! http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57941

I'm on the list but not sure I qualify since my rat was already a full kit I had laying around, a lot of parts or additions were things I already had acquired but it still was a full kit- I have it started already on the workbench forum. Please let me know as I don't want to post it if I don't qualify.

Thanks

B!

I'm on the list but not sure I qualify since my rat was already a full kit I had laying around, a lot of parts or additions were things I already had acquired but it still was a full kit- I have it started already on the workbench forum. Please let me know as I don't want to post it if I don't qualify.

Thanks

B!

Rats don't have to be parts-box builds.

It is build a rat OR build something from the parts box.

Building a rat from the parts box is just added fun!

Afraid I have to put a hold on my build, with car show season upon us, I have been working on my 1:1 ride all day every day since I started this build...hopefully after the shows I can dig it back out and do some more to it.

There are some great ideas and builds floating around here so far....cant wait to see everything finished.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a little time to mess with my rat rod build...got some mocking up done. Need to shorten the rear axles just a bit and figure out some kind of exhaust. Let me knwo what you think about the truck bed...still unsure if I want to use it or not...

DSCN3278.jpg

DSCN3277.jpg

DSCN3281.jpg

DSCN3280.jpg

Yeah, I have noticed this has been slow lately....got some paint sprayed early this morning, and tried my hand at weathering, but did not turn out right...so i just resprayed everything...here are some progress pics...more to come soon

DSCN3284.jpg

DSCN3286.jpg

DSCN3293.jpg

I covered the dash with chrome BMF (first time using BMF) and it turned out alot better than I figured. I am still unsure about the truck bed...it is painted, but havent mocked it up yet....still need to narrow the rear axle assembly...

Edited by tjones87