Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Plymouth Roadrunner

Car Crazy 81

I'd just started on this project last week. I'd found this beaut on E-bay the body & frame has been primered,the engine has been painted. Im building this one Showroom Stock except for the original Magnum 500 wheels which are being replaced with a set from a Monogram 71 Cuda.

Edited by Car Crazy 81

:D Isu, Be glad it was already primered! That screemin green woulda burned yer retnas out! It even looks better in prime!Hope it stays hidden, the green has a way of comin back attcha! keep us posted on the build, GTX's have always been cool rides! :D

• 1 year later...

I came across a 70 GTX just like mines on the SA forum so that had my gears turning to commence the construction on my 70 GTX i'd scribed out the kits inner fenderwells in favor of a set from a AMT 69 GTX kit which looks more accurate it was a easy swap except i had to trim the bottom of the fenderwells in order for the frame to fit flush. Im still undecided on how im gonna build it yet.

Edited by Car Crazy 81

Rick, remember that those were unibody cars,and the engine compartment WAS a part of the front chassis. Your gonna have to fill in the gap between the chassis an lower engine compartment to be accurate. I'm surprised that the AMT EC fit the Monogram kit so well, being as how they are both different scales. :mellow:;)

• 6 months later...

Before I saw the race pic I was gonna say looks like Fast and Furious Car. I ove the Mopars they got. Lucky enough they have smartened up and get junk cars (rusted out peices of ######)when they need to wreck them. Still does not justify but at least they are pretty much ######. They said it is hard to find the 68-70s since so many have been totaled in TV and the movies.

Tj- The Hammer had a cameo part in Tokyo Drift i guess Steve Strope wanted some pubicity for his ride. I dont get movie production companies taking these Muscle Cars and blowing them up take a new car and try that it makes me cringe everytime i see a classic get blown to pieces even if it was a junker i think potential. As for the build it will look similar to the Hammer except the gauges i'll have to see if Aoshima has these set of wheels and fit them on the car.

Tj- The Hammer had a cameo part in Tokyo Drift i guess Steve Strope wanted some pubicity for his ride. I dont get movie production companies taking these Muscle Cars and blowing them up take a new car and try that it makes me cringe everytime i see a classic get blown to pieces even if it was a junker i think potential. As for the build it will look similar to the Hammer except the gauges i'll have to see if Aoshima has these set of wheels and fit them on the car.

Guage cluster should not be too hard with a photo-decal.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Looks really good. Did I read correctly that this is the GTX kit? My 70 Roadrunner Monogram kit has been giving me a ton of grief trying to smooth the center of the hood. Maybe getting that kit, swapping hoods, and opening up the Roadrunner hood with a blower on the GTX would be a viable option.

Edited by Skydime