Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius Smoothie (Skirts Made and Installed) Almost Done

Figured I'd do a thread on this one.....

SAM_6823%201024x896_zpsknpuvv5s.jpg

SAM_6825%201024x657_zpsfisrgxmm.jpg

Pretty cool setup as the original, but with a few omissions and extras.....

Let's start with the omissions....

Very little decal options....(That's it)

And the plusses.....

You get a choice of rear door options.....(I really like that, as I can use whichever one I don't use to scratch build a trailer or two)

Front and rear doors are no longer plated.....(I found this to be a bit on the overkill side with the other one)

Box art is beautiful with that orange.....

The only thing I think that would have made this kit better is the addition of some trailer skirts......

I'll get to building sometime, this week.....

Edited by kilrathy10

I'm guessin it'll go with your Volvo. Lookin forward to seeing a build up this. I hope to get to the LHS this week, where my 2 are waiting for me.

No, actually, this is for another tractor....I'm still working on the Volvo, though....I've got something else planned for that one.....

Hope those "Smoothies" are still there when you get there.....Hey, that's sounds good...I gotta change the title....

Awesome! I started one of mine this past weekend. I'm going to add some trailer skirts and either 5-hole wheels or a set of super singles, I can't decide. Can't wait to see what you do with this one.

Man, I've seen your stuff, KJ...Whatever you decide to do will be awesome, I'm sure.....I know I'm going to add skirts, but everything else will be box stock.....I haven't even put anything together, yet and I'm in love with it, already....

And I, totally, have to get a set of your singles.....

Edited by kilrathy10

Assembly has finally started.....I can't say enough good things about the quality of Moebius's models.....I, literally, opened the packages that the sides, top, and bottom came in and started assembling.....No REAL cleanup was necessary....This is exactly what they looked like out of the box....I did have to cut the front and rear from some sprue, but no big whoop, there.....

SAM_6827%201024x666%202_zpsd0nsswwh.jpg

SAM_6831%201024x767_zpsczzmqepd.jpg

SAM_6833%201024x947_zpsheweb0qh.jpg

It even comes with a little strap and new latching mechanism....And, now with the door option....I can't wait to see what I can scratch build with the other one....I probably won't use the strap provided....A piece of tape or something will work better, for that...

SAM_6835%201024x767_zpsc07xc0c6.jpg

Only a few things different than the original issue....This is one of them.....You have to cut out the notches for the new reinforcement railings.....

SAM_6837%201024x572_zps5u4bwiek.jpg

SAM_6840%201024x591_zps66kaagbh.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

And now....On with the assembly....Everything went as the other one, as far as putting a box, together....The good thing, here, is that it doesn't matter which side you use for the left or the right....As long as the heavily riveted portions are to the front....There IS a top and bottom for the sides in that other model....Not so on this one....

SAM_6845%201024x768_zpsacmujb7m.jpg

SAM_6846%201024x580_zpsuzik4uk7.jpg

SAM_6847%201024x768_zpsdndfpu2g.jpg

SAM_6851%201024x543_zpsx0xj3uqj.jpg

SAM_6858%201024x716_zpsya72bqvo.jpg

Now, I did have some trouble with the top of the LH side as it caved in on me when I picked it up for inspection....I ended up drilling a hole and shoving a stick to force the side back into its proper location and regluing it.....I'll fix the hole, later....

SAM_6860%201024x767_zpshojkkww8.jpg

SAM_6863%201024x768_zpsejvjsozm.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

Great start JT. With you verifying the usual Moebius quality, I can't wait to start on 1 of the 2 I picked this week. It's gonna be a little bit before I start another build, I have 12 builds I need to get squared away for the upcoming show.

Anyway, I'm standing by waiting for this get some sort of color on it and what truck your gonna put under it.

Base paint slapped on....Now the waiting begins.....I'd imagine I can mask this off and finish it up come Thursday....Contest is Saturday, so I may get to blow drying or something.....That's right, Dan....You'll definitely, see this one, there....

SAM_6865%201024x586_zpsth4k07ct.jpg

SAM_6867%201024x649_zps36e52btv.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

Looking good man. Good luck at the contest. I need to get out to one of the Texas shows.

Thanks, Buddy.....

Yeah, Man....It'd be cool to meet you....And vise versa....I need to get to Louisiana, myself, for a show or two....

Edited by kilrathy10