Model Cars Magazine Forum

'23 Ford 'T' Carny Wagon

gasser59

Well, I've started another new project. Started this carney wagon that I was inspired from a Dr. Cranky posted photo. I started with the AMT 3 in 1 Double 'T' kit and thought the wheelbase wasn't long enough so I picked up an AMT 'T' Budweiser Delivery which strangely enough had the same wheelbase. The rear fenders are more suited to where this project is headed so I'll use those and the front of the cab which is flat as opposed to the one from the double kit that has a cowl. It doesn't look like much at this stage but its the first I've been able to do a rough mock-up after several days of work.

CarneyWagon1.jpg

Stay tuned and thanks for following along.

Edited by gasser59

Thanks for the comment Rob and thanks for following along. Got a bit more done but this whole project is so fiddly its driving me nuts. Here's the new floor I built using the kit one as a template.

Floor.jpg

I needed to fabricate a cab floorboard with the kick up for the transmission/engine, so I used some printing plate for this.

Foorboard.jpg

And lastly, I've been spending a considerable amount of time on the front axle. This kit has a metal axle for the wheels but I insist that all of my scale builds have functional steering so I had to file away the back of the axle and sandwich in some flat styrene and shape it to the existing axle. Next up is the spindles and this is where I'm at at the moment. Used 1/16th and 1/8th inch aluminum tubing and added the spindle whixch is also 1/16th inch aluminum tubing. This is the passenger side.

PassSpindle.jpg

The work continues and thanks for following. Comments always welcome..

Edited by gasser59

Rob - I use printing plate for a number of things. It is so easy to bend, cut, drill and glue. I use alot of .005" stuff that I get from a local print shop. They are used and have a finished aluminum shine on one side. If you check out my Fiat build, you'll see alot of it in use.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=45867&hl=

Thanks Doc. I was able to get in a bunch of bench time over the weekend and now the chassis is together, fenders and cab are painted. After all of that, there is still more fitment issues. I used the chassis from the 3-in-1 kit and the body parts from the AMT Budweiser Delivery and I really didn't give it much thought on them not fitting since the parts trees were the same. I need to cut away the front of the floorboard as its hitting on the transmission and keeping the front of the frame from sitting down properly against the fender/floorboard assembly. This will be fixed soon. Was also able to make the roof rack our of copper tubing and printing plate. This is in the paint booth so I'll post some pics of everything tonight.

Thanks for your interest.

Excellent. The original model was built by Pat Covert and I am happy to have it in my collection. I have a whole bunch of pictures of it in my Fotki archive:

http://public.fotki....ts-carny-wagon/

I am looking forward to more progress.

I remember the article. The back story was as interesting as the build details IIRC.

Ok, so last night I was still figuring out the fitment and needing to make many adjustments and I'm really close to this all fitting together properly but man is this thing fiddly. Its sitting here like a house of cards and one misplaced breath will blow it over. Hope to get more work done tonight and share with you the details I've put into the chassis.

Mock-Up1.jpg

Right now it kind of looks like a phone booth on wheels.

Well, I've been working on the few interior components and just couldn't bring myself to use the kit's original pedals. They weren't even close to the reference pics I found on the 'net.

OriginalPedals.jpg

So, I just had to make some that more closely resembled the reference. I used aluminum printing plate for the stems and the floorboard face plate and used a curved brass piecevfrom taking apart a radio antenna that was cut and shaped with my Dremel Stylus. The pics really don't show up well but these are a major improvement.

Pedals2.jpg

Pedals1.jpg

Next up is the hand brake and to finish up the seat.

Thanks for your interest and following along.

Edited by gasser59

Thanks Russ. I'm glad you're following along.

A bit more done on this build and getting some concentrated bench time in this morning. Here's a couple better pix of the pedals as well as a brake handle made with steel rod, printing plate for the folded handle and a bit of shaped wood on the other top before they were painted.

Pedals4.jpg

Pedals3.jpg

BrakeHandle.jpg

I'll have more updates later this morning so stay tuned.

Spent a good part of both days at the bench and have gotten quite a bit done. Still some weathering to do and some touch up here and there but for the most part the chassis, cab, engine and interior are done. I put a wooden parts box along with some wheel chocks and an old paint can under the front seat since it makes such a great storage space. The seat covering was an experiment and I'm happy with the results. I used a fabric from a T bag, seems appropriate since this is a Model 'T', that was adhered underneath and painted over it with a several rattle can colors, then dull coated it. Now I'm finally able to move onto the living quarters, which was the reason I wanted to do this build in the first place.

A bit of the stuff I've done is I had to make the headlight lens because one of mine was missing plus they were too thick and distorted anyway. Luckily, a hole punch was just the right diameter so I used a scrap clear clam shell package, scribed some equal distance lines on it with the back of my X-Acto blade and punched them out. I made the engine crank handle with piano wire and carved an actual piece of basswood for the grip. Made a windshield wiper and motor. More clear clam shell for the windshield, its a bit ripply but that looks correct for this vehicle. The radiator cap is waiting for some brass paint which I can't seem to find in my stash at the moment. Plugs are wired and radiator hoses are in. I also made a muffler out of aluminum tubing to replace the klunky kit one.

Here's a few pics.

HeadlightsGrill.jpg

Seat2.jpg

Engine.jpg

As always, thanks for your interest and comments welcome.

Edited by gasser59