Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Rat Rig FINAL UPDATE 02/19/12 **DONE**

This is an update. Decided to design my own grill. Wanted something on the line of a 34 Ford. Took a few pieces of Rectangular evergreen strips and glued together in the shape that I wanted. Then sanded down to the right contour. I made the grill insert from piano wire. Right now it's all shiny, but will be weathered and dullcoated. Looking for some headlights to attach to either side. Now to make a radiator to go behind it. Ken

DSCF0991.jpg

DSCF0992.jpg

DSCF0997.jpg

DSCF0998.jpg

DSCF0999.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Now that is totally cool............... B) Could you use a light coat of some sort of adhesion promoter like BullyDog on the straw..?...I've used that stuff painting the plastic engine covers on my 1:1 before, and it works great....I know some paints/primers are too "hot" for some plastics, but it's worth a shot...

• 2 months later...

Well, it's been a while. Like I said before I build slow. Holidays and new grand baby slowed things down for a while. Now I have to go for double hernia surgery on valentines day, so that will slow me down again. I'm slowly but surely getting there. I've gotten pretty far, just scratched up a radiator. Will be putting an electric fan on the front of it after it is installed. Lots of small details left, like mirrors, wipers, brake lines, the rest of the steering gear, air lines etc. have to install the grill also, after radiator is completed. Here it is. All comments and criticism welcomed. I'm giving it my best. Ken

DSCF1119.jpg

DSCF1120.jpg

DSCF1121.jpg

DSCF1122.jpg

DSCF1123.jpg

Been working on the radiator this morning. Good time to do it 21 degrees outside. I'm a firm believer in ading nut and bolt detail to make things more realistic. I think this comes from my many years as a model railroader. All you need is a piece of styrene rod. Just cut tiny pieces and glue in place to replicate fasteners. Makes for a much more detailed part. Here are a few pictures. Ken

DSCF1133.jpg

DSCF1131.jpg

That fan came out of my spares box. When I go to model shows I'll sometimes I see these fellows with a box of odd part that some look at as junk. I can usually buy the whole lot for peanuts. Take it home and sort it out. I have storage containers with seperate compartments that I itemize everything in. Had about 15-20 fans to choose from. I have no idea of it's origin. I actually made the brackets from plastruct and the fan clutch is serving as the drive motor. Ken

Recuperating from double hernia surgery on valentines day. I can get around and feel my best when seated, which is what I do at the workbench. Here are some new pictures of the Rat Rig. They might seem repititious, but if you look at them there are changes. I mounted the grill and weathered it. Added a bunch of details. There isn't too much more to go and then I will call it done. I have another crazy project that I started a while back that I have dug out. It's in line for assembly when this is done. Thanks for looking. Ken

DSCF1141.jpg

DSCF1142.jpg

DSCF1143.jpg

DSCF1144.jpg

DSCF1145.jpg