Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where do I find the small screws?

I've been following alot of big scale builds for some of my upcoming builds and got curious as to where you guys are getting all these tiny nuts, bolts and screws?

Any one with any input, please give me the details. who has them how are they bought (bulk or per piece), how many sizes are there...any thing else you can think of.

You guys are really knocking these builds out of the park and the detail that just a small bolt gives to a build is making alot of difference..

Thanks in advance..steve

NO PROBLEM,

SOME OF THAT STUFF CAN GET PRETTY PRICY, I WAS GOING TO TRY USING HEX STOCK FROM EVERGREEN OR PLASTRUCT

That was also my thought, the prices. I was trying to see if they just had a grab bag of odds and ends, they don't.

Hex stock, see i never thought of that. good idea and an add-on to that maybe i could drill a small hole on one side and glue a small piece of a pin in it then drill and glue it to my build...

Thanks for the suggestion..

I may end up doing the same, unless I absolutely need the screws. One of my largest problems is that I was to "bolt" the wheels on. I'm not sure on how to about doing that with the kit wheels.

They do make micro-sized nut drivers for the micro nuts, too. I recall seeing them at Scale Hardware when I bought my stuff.

Buying the real micro nuts/bolts or photoetched nuts is more expensive, but just like round of square styrene, hex styrene rod isn't always perfectly extruded, and cutting it in perfectly even lengths (say you need 20 open-ended lug nuts) is something which will try almost anyone's patience, especially in 1/25-1/24 scale.