Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 914/6 GT

afx

I had the Ritchie Ginther kit, and knowing firsthand how dissapointing this kit is makes your work all the more better.

I don't have the patience to correct all the errors in a Revell kit, but I at least swapped those horrible wheels for ones from one of their VW Beetle kits.

I got a little heavy handed when I fist created the flairs and they ended far too wide. It may be hard to tell but if you compare the two photos you will see that I have narrowed them to and they now look much more accurate.

DSCN0875.JPGDSCN0906

Edited by afx

I had the Ritchie Ginther kit, and knowing firsthand how dissapointing this kit is makes your work all the more better.

I don't have the patience to correct all the errors in a Revell kit, but I at least swapped those horrible wheels for ones from one of their VW Beetle kits.

Thanks Jason. It is a challenging kit no doubt. I agree the kit wheels are unusable.

Pretty cool looking Porsche so far

Thanks Dave. Your avatar photo makes me laugh. I remember cutting forks off old bikes and pounding them on the end of our bikes to make "choppers". Too funny.

Edited by afx

I'm a huge fan of the Porsche 914/6 as I've had two at one time. You are doing this build such justice that in the end will be a work of art. Keep up the great work turning a Pig's ear into a Silk Purse.

Thanks Jason. Having owned a few(!) 1:1 914s you will notice some derivations from absolute accuracy. However I am trying to be as fathful to the original as I can.

It's looking great bro!!!

Thanks Marcos.

The kit has the dash molded in. Since my plan is to attached the separate windscreen and roof before final painting the dash would have been very difficult to paint. So using a jewelers saw I cut it lose from the body.

DSCN0915.JPG

Edited by afx

Haven't been doing a lot of posting but I have been making progress. I have permanently installed the roof & wind screen and have the flairs puttied to the point they are ready for primer. The primer coat will no doubt expose some flaws which will then have to be addressed.

DSCN0921.JPG

Edited by afx

Great job so far! The detail work may not get noticed by the herd, but at any show when a real Porsche guy sees it, he will go nuts! And that should make your day.

Thanks Tom, yes that does make my day. It suprising when you compare the kit closely to reference material it is really quite accurate. Atleast what's there. It's a shame that the kit is so poorly engineered. But that's not gonna stop me!