Model Cars Magazine Forum

stripping chrome parts

m408

depending on the size of the pieces, i either put them, and enough fantastik, in either a ragu sauce jar, or an old hellmanns mayo jar

wait ten minutes swirl it around, wait a few more minutes, then wash off with dawn dish soap/air dry on dish rack or compressor, and go to town

billd64

I want to strip and color paint some chrome bumpers. Best way?

Thanks guys. I had a can of "PowerHouse" heavy duty oven cleaner that I had gotten from the dollar store and thought that I would give it a try. Put the parts in a tuperware tub, in my spray booth to avoid any fumes, and gave it a good coating. After about 10 minutes and a touch of an old tooth brush and a cold water rinse, they came out clean as a whistle. :blink:

I use Westley's Bleche-Wite whitewall/blackwall tire cleaner...can be purchased at most auto supply stores

stuff is fantastic...not only does it remove the chrome but also the clear nasty stuff underneath the chrome,

it takes it right down to the plastic :lol:

I've removed chrome from almost every model company out-there and so far it has not attacked (melted) the plastic :lol:

it will usually last 4-6 months in a small air tight tupperware container...just drop the chrome parts in close the lid and depending on the kit manufacturer, the chrome is gone in an hour or two.

rinse with warm water and away you go.... :lol:

I use purple power or super clean that i get at Walmart Takes the clear basecoat of and usualy all done i less than 30 minutes. Westly's Bleche white is also good. Have used Simple green as well. Have used bleach and oven cleaners and brake fluid just don't like the way they work and the toxic smells from them is terrible.