Model Cars Magazine Forum

I believe those to be the years of this truck. They went to the third brake light in '95 and this kit doesn't have it. I own a '96 so reference material was superb. Needless to say this kit isn't 100% accurate and it drove me nuts knowing that. I built it pretty much out of the box. I used bucket seats, wheels and tires, from my parts box. I used the first section of the exhaust system from the kit and mufflers from the '49 Merc. The rest of the exhaust was scratch built. My first on the exhaust as well as my first attempt to weather a chassis. I really enjoyed the process. I also attempted a spray-in bed liner using thin white glue and baking soda. While the process needs perfecting I think its a nice touch. The body paint is all from Testers one coat lacquer line. My idea for the build was to create a restored daily driver so to speak.

DSC06690-vi.jpgDSC06691-vi.jpgDSC06692-vi.jpgDSC06693-vi.jpgDSC06694-vi.jpgDSC06698-vi.jpg

That's a sharp looking little Ford truck Bill! Great job on the weathering. The grille/headlight area is especially convincing. Someday, I want to get one of these and do a loose replica of a '95 I bought new,then sold a few years later. Nice work all the way around!

Thanks for all the comments and interest folks!

Chris: The kit was good as far as fitment and assembly. Like I said earlier though, there's a few things that bug me about it. The way the bed mates with the cab makes the truck look like its bent in half. Someone brought to my attention while I was building it that the firewall needs to be moved back. The kit is just lacking some details in general. No floor shifter or column shifter. No rear view mirror. The alternator just looked like a blob of spur on a pulley. I'm not complaining just giving some things that came to my attention. I plan on doing several more of these trucks so these are some things that will get addressed. Also, while I black washed the headlight assemblies to show separation in the different parts it consisted of, I think the lines are too big and makes it look a little toyish. Something else I will focus on with my future builds.

Hugh: I'm calling you responsible for this build! After watching your build it motivated me to build mine. As far as the mirrors, I striped the chrome all together. Then scribed the chrome cover area, painted the mirrors flat black and BMF for the chrome plate on the front.

Thanks again folks! All in all I'm happy with the truck and proud to have it on my shelf.

Bill, I love what you did with this truck! I wouldn't have thought to use those two colors together, but they really complement each other well. I like your combination of well-cared-for body, weathered chassis and tired engine. Nicely done!

I'm stymied by one thing, though. What are the two hexagonal holes in the black sheetmetal behind the grille?

Lastly, do you recall which kit those wheels came from? They were a great choice for this project.

Monty, I'm sorry man, I have no idea where those wheels came from. Sometimes at our model club meets I will see a set of wheels that look good and I'll pick them up for a "just in case" type of thing, so that could be very well where they may have come from.

As far as those holes, Chris is right about the stops being there on the 1:1. I don't know what there trying to represent on the model. Haha! Another one of those things that could use some addressing on the next one.

Thanks again guys!

I can't think of a better truck to stair at and memorize! Like I said, I have a '96, my neighbor has a '95, and my father has a '94. Mine is a extended cab with the short bed and a 5.8, Mark3 edition. My neighbor is regular cab and 8ft bed with 5.0 and 4wd. My father has extended cab, short bed, 4wd with straight six. I got all reference materials I can handle! Haha! I bought this kit with the intension of building my 1:1. That's going to be a lot of work so for now I built this one and kept it box stock-ish to learn the kit and know where I need to go with future builds.

yea, i have a 1993 f150 xl, regular cab long box 4x4, 300 six with a 5speed. body was rough other than cab, and frame was rotten so i am swapping the frames to a mint one. I am also putting my 30,000 km ford crate 302 in it and replacin it with the box off an 89 f250 that i have which is also mint. and repainting it calypso green !

• 2 weeks later...