Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Rat Rig FINAL UPDATE 02/19/12 **DONE**

This something that I posted in Workbench Saturdays!! A few veiwers there asked that I make a build log of this so here it is. I started this project a while ago, but it has yet to really be glued together so I took it apart as far as I could to get a good start. This is a combination of a Revell 41 Chevy pickup and a Revell W900 Kenworth

DSCF0879.jpg

first I cut the frame up and removed the front leaf springs and any riveted brackets, crossmembers, details, etc. I built a box frame and put the front leafs on the rear and added crossmember detail.

DSCF0880.jpg

I decided to go with coil springs in the front so I fabbed up some spring perches. I loosely assembled the cat engine to get an idea of what it will look like and cut the battery box steps down to a realistic size for what I'm doing. Had an Orange Crate cab and grill laying around and tried it on for size

DSCF0886.jpg

DSCF0883.jpg

To be continued.

Ken

Edited by kenb

Well, din't care to much for that cab. Seemed just a bit too small. Got the cab from the 41 Chevy pickup. It's much better. I think if i had car tires and wheels on it the Orange crate cab would be ok. I had to cut up the rear panel and box it to clear the frame. Opened up the drivers door an cowl vent.

DSCF0888.jpg

DSCF0887.jpg

I need a different grill. I'm thinking something like a farm tractor type grill, or a 34 ford grill just larger. I layed the 5th wheel on the back of the frame an kind of liked it. My original intentions were to build wrecker hoise for the rear. This is all being built out of my head as I go along. Any thoughts, ideas or criticism are welcome. This will probably be a lengthy build as I don't build fast, but i don't build slow, I build kinda half fast. so you'll have to bear with me.

Ken

Sorry about the way some of the pictures are coming out. Using my old trusty Fuji S5000 and there must be something wrong with it. It's not trusty anymore. aoto focus just isn't working at times. will switch cameras for all future pics. Sat for a small session tonight and built the hairpins for the front end. Removed 2 pieces of frame section from the W900 that had rivet detail and made the hangers from that. Ken

DSCF0891.jpg

DSCF0889.jpg

An update on the build. Did some detail work on the engine. Added plumbing and cleaned up the seam lines. Then primed. After I was done I realized that I put the injector lines on the wrong place on the head. Oh well, Not gonna change that now. This is what happens when you don't print out your reference photos and go from memory. At least I got the firing order right.

Ken

DSCF0934.jpg

DSCF0935.jpg

DSCF0937.jpg

DSCF0938.jpg

Well, been slaving at the workbench. Trying to get the right look for this Cat 3406 Engine. Don't know if I did the right thing by hitting it with the flat finish. I lost a lot of the weathing after that. Might do a light wash and a little more dry brushing on it tomorrow. Will have to see how it looks in frame.

DSCF0955.jpg

DSCF0956.jpg

DSCF0957.jpg

Ken

Well, I said i was a slow builder. Been getting some things done lately. Had trouble deciding on how to rig the steering, went with a cross steer system. Stil looking for the right wheels. Will probably order some resin ones. Want to put some 6 spoke like those found on early Macks. Here are some pics. Ken

DSCF0985.jpg

DSCF0984.jpg

DSCF0983.jpg

DSCF0979.jpg

DSCF0973-1.jpg

Here's a couple more shots

DSCF0974.jpg

DSCF0986.jpg

That hole in the right side fuel tank is where the exhaust will pass through, then turn up along side the cab. I was thinking of a way to make the exhaust while drinking a shake. I looked at the straw with the corrugation in it to make a bend. Hmmm this might work. That's what I'm going to use. Going to look like this...

DSCF0988.jpg

DSCF0989.jpg

Ken