Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hudson Hornet Gasser

Still looks pretty cool though!!! Yeah, weight would definitely be an issue. :lol: It was a toss up between a gasser or a road race version of the Hornet. The kit has such nice lines, I don't want to go the wrong way....

Edited by bismarck

In those days, gassers ran a weight-to-engine-size classification. You could still be a class-winner (G or H for the gasser classes, most likely) with a heavy car with a smallish engine if your prep, tuning and reflexes were better than the other guy's. Naturally you couldn't run as quick as a Willys with a blown Olds 394, but you COULD win your class. A lot of guys just raced whatever they had, just for the fun and challenge of actually RACING.

Here's some Hudson racing history and tech. http://home.comcast.net/~sarahdyoung/ReturnOfHudsonArticle.html

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

One of Dave Koffel's early gassers was based on a 49 Packard. It ran F/G, I believe and was quite successful. It was one of the first Flintstone Flyers that came out of Dave's garage. I'd say Go For It!!!!

car.JPG

And an older photo, still running as F/G...

koffelFlinstoneFlyer.jpg?t=1226066557

And if you DO decide to build a gasser Hudson, look at some period pix first, and read the old NHRA rules. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2006u57wp7sqpxt/eZJPZZcJdZ The classes changed over the years...some were added, etc., some years allowed engine relocation and other years allowed a certain percentage engine setback, and in general, the rules got more permissive as time went on. The stupidly nose-high junk a lot of people are building today look goofy, would handle horribly, and are just flat wrong.

The nose goes UP when they launch, but in general, they sat pretty close to level otherwise.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thanks Bill for the link!! That's exactly what I needed. B) I think I know what direction I want to go now.... piecrust slicks and chrome steels out back, SBC w/fuel injection.... HHMMMMM ...Or maybe find a way to juice up that 6!!! :D

Edited by bismarck

car.JPG

And an older photo, still running as F/G...

koffelFlinstoneFlyer.jpg?t=1226066557

And if you DO decide to build a gasser Hudson, look at some period pix first, and read the old NHRA rules. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2006u57wp7sqpxt/eZJPZZcJdZ The classes changed over the years...some were added, etc., some years allowed engine relocation and other years allowed a certain percentage engine setback, and in general, the rules got more permissive as time went on. The stupidly nose-high junk a lot of people are building today look goofy, would handle horribly, and are just flat wrong.

The nose goes UP when they launch, but in general, they sat pretty close to level otherwise.

I love the Packard gasser. Very Kool!

Scott

I have the Gasser Wars book on that Packard. Dave Koffel used the car as his daily driver till he put a SBC in it and went street racing in The Canton/Akron area. He made a master mold out of the front end of his Packard, and gave it one of the first one piece fiberglass front ends!! According to the book, the car started out in dark blue.

There was an old farmer that used to run a Hudson Jet at Dragway 42 in Ohio back in the early 70's. Had a twin H 308 with a T10 four speed and it flew. Think he ran H Gas

The Hudson Jet is a totally different car from the rest of Hudson line, and Moebuis' Hudson models. The Jet was a compact car Hudson wasted their money on, that they tried selling in 1953 and '54. It helped force their merger with Nash, and create American Motors. Like Kaiser, Hudson should have invested its money into building a new V8 engine. And redesigning their big cars. The Jet was a good car. But, not what the public was interested in at that time.

Scott

I was more interested in the tech info on the engine, and how they got more hp out of it. I assume they both made use of the 308 c.u. flat 6?

The "gas" classes allowed engine swaps, so you could put just about anything in anything. The classifications were based on weight of the vehicle, and engine displacement (cubic inches). The Flintstone Flyer above was smallblock-Chevy powered...at least at one time.

You could, of course, run the engine that came in the car.

Hudson engines would respond to the same performance modifications as other engines, many of them internal and not visible from outside...things like porting and relieving, raising compression, balancing, a hotter cam, etc.

Externally visible mods of interest to a modeler would be the old standards...headers and extra carbs, maybe trick intake manifolding...

Svenska%2024.gif

A GMC 3-71 or 4-71 blower would add some punch, but bump a car up one class...

Supercharged%20Hudson%2004.gif

Here's a different blower...not period-correct, but you could do something similar using a S.C.o.T unit...

9x12.gif

Maybe an aftermarket aluminum head, and fabricated intake manifolds...

113_0306_01z%2B1941_hudson_traveller%2Be

Triple side-draft Weber carbs, anyone? flathead.jpg

Or something a little less exotic...

hudsontricarb_zps8e847dbb.jpg

...and no reason something like this couldn't be built for the old Hudson.

2carbsIsNotEnough.jpg

Hilborn injection is also an option...though this is on a Chevy, as is the setup above, they could both work.

12Port-Left-1a-420x346.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I have the Gasser Wars book on that Packard. Dave Koffel used the car as his daily driver till he put a SBC in it and went street racing in The Canton/Akron area. He made a master mold out of the front end of his Packard, and gave it one of the first one piece fiberglass front ends!! According to the book, the car started out in dark blue.

Yep, here's an older picture of that car.

8724729_orig.jpg

According to the subject, a Hudson Hornet Gasser has been on my "To Do - List" ever since I saw Moebius is tooling a kit of one. When I get myself another one of those Hudson kits, I will definitely start building a Gasser out of it.